Newbie looking for best book for learning NLE

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

OK, this question must have been asked many times before, but not sure how to find it.

I’m just trying to get started here. I asked one question before about my hardware and got a helpful answer which basically confirmed that I need to upgrade. I just got my first VM sub for Christmas.

What I want now is to learn DV editing. I’ve been reading stuff on and off for 1.5 years but my biggest problem is that it does me no good to read a manual on all the features and how-tos for Sony Vegas, or whatever. I need/want a book with some sample raw videos which walks me through how to use the software to edit the raw video.

Is there any book which does this? Do I have to commit myself to a certain product first? My focus here is on newsy mini-documenteries for now. So my content will be mostly sit-down or man-on-the-street interviews with "B-roll" content for jump cuts and transitions. This seems like a fairly simple use case to me. I don’t need to think in terms of finding ‘talent’ or high-action outdoor lighting, etc.

I have very limited budget right now so in terms of software, I don’t need features, I need simplicity.

So: can you guys recommend a (video editing getting started) book to me which comes with a CD-rom with sample video which walks through the basics of cutting out the chaff, inserting transitional video, keeping the primary [interview] audio across all the video [interview + transitions], etc.

Or maybe I’m talking nonsense here. Thanks in advance.

Participant

Since you have a limited budget, I would heartily suggest Sony’s Vegas Movie Studio – It is less that $100 and is almost as functional as the full product. You could also look at purchasing a prior version of software as well – I have seen Sony’s Vegas+DVD (versions 6.0 and 3.0) discounted greatly.

As for training, there is much free stuff out there plus some very good yet reasonably priced tutorials that make things a whole bunch easier (email me off list if you want specifics).

Inactive

The reason it’s hard to learn video editing from a book is because the steps are hard to describe on paper. A more effective way to learn is through video tutorials.

I have used Windows Movie Maker for years and find that it can take you quite far.
      You can find free video tutorials on how to use it on: http://www.atomiclearning.com/moviemaker2

Inactive

Myrtha Chang mentioned something that makes total sense. If you have XP on your computer, you should have a program called "Movie Maker". This is a very basic and simple NLE program to work with and it’s an excellent way to learn how editing works. By using this you will start becoming familar with terms and techniques used in the editing process.

IMO, the best way to learn this is by actually starting a mini project. As my distinguished friend "compusolver" has already stated, after a few days or weeks, you will start to understand how cuts, transitions and audio all come into play. Once you get a clear understanding of this, you will be ready to move up to a better NLE that is capable on doing bigger and better things. The one thing you have to keep in mind is that pretty much all NLE programs out there operate somewhat the same. The only difference is the interface.

Think of it like when your first learned how to drive a car. Once you have the basics down, you will be ready to drive any car. They all have a steering wheel and a gas pedal and the only thing that you really have to worry about is where the windshield wiper switch is or maybe the light switch is. In the end, they all do the same thing. I told my son to do this and now he is a very accomplished Permiere Pro user. I guess one can say it’s good to learn how to walk before you run.

As for me, I found that the best way to learn is through expereience. I still remember to this day… the concern I had when I first fired up Adobe Premiere for the first time. I looked at this and thought that there was no way I was going to figure this out. After many years, I think I can pretty much say that I know it like the back of my hand. Today, the biggest problem I struggle with is making a decission on what style of font I want to use. X-D

Good luck!

RAM

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap