newbie here

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all

I am new here and glad to find this valuable forum for sharing important information about video making.I am interested to do it professionally.so can anyone help me how can i start a good career with video making.

Thanks

Participant

Wow, my first assumption is this – I assume you have an interest in video production to start with…   that being said, the next step is to learn “everything” about video production. If you have the resources, a credable school would be a great start. If that option is not for you, then read, experiment, read some more, grab your camera and go shoot stuff and practice editing.

The bottom line here is “experience” (knowing how to “get it done”) is what makes good videos. Get that experience from where ever you can — formal training and /or trial-and-error on your own.

One question will follow you as you get deeper into video production…  do you have the money to pay for the things you need — cameras, accessories, computers, software, travel expenses, training, etc. Like any endeavor you try, it will cost something to get started.

If your budget is really small, start with shooting family events (birthday parties, picnics, etc) and edit them to your best ability, building your equipment stores as you get the money.

Is this the answer you were looking for?? Again, training and experience are the key factors in making (really) good videos. Hope this helped.

Participant

David, welcome to this forum you will find a lot of great information and lots of great people willing to share their knowledge. As sunkleep said experience counts. The only way to get that is to shoot, shoot, shoot, edit, learn from your mistakes and shoot some more. You need to learn about lighting, framing, etc to shoot good video. An expensive camcorder won’t make great, great video the person behind it does. I’ve seen great video shot with cheap equipment but with good lighting, framing etc. Search through this forum for these subjects. You will find a wealth of information and when you run into a stumbling point, come ask here for help. After you have some experience shooting the next step is learning how to market what you have shot. You will find a lot of info here about the business end of video also. Good luck, good start and good shooting.

Participant

David, I just thought I would add to look for info on this forum use the search function on the right side, the search videomaker on the bottom of the page or click on the forums, look through all of the topcs listed or click on the topics with no tags and scroll through the 247 pages!

Participant

Welcome to the forums.

One book you may consider is “THE FILMMAKER’S HANDBOOK” by Steven Ascher and Edward Pincus. I have the 2008 edition so there may be a newer edition. it also covers video. It includes some history and explanations of terms I find it an invaluable reference. It covers equipment, lighting, editing, sound, etc. just a great reference book for someone just getting started.

Good luck.

Participant

David, check out the video tutorials they have on here, they are a wealth of information. Also they do have regular online training courses that are really good for novices and experienced videographers alike. Welcome to VideoMaker!!!

On top of that, study only the best movies made (don watch crap) and go through the special features over and over and over again until it becomes you. See what the worlds best directors, screen play writers and actors have to say. Study Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Ben Hur, ET, Lord of the Rings (excellent), Titanic, Shawshank Redemption, Citizen Kane and so on. order the screen plays and read them. These are gold mines. Often better than courses and classes. Shoot everything. do it with someone else who shares your passion. Write out screen plays and film them. Write, write, write. Go to camera clubs and share what you have learned. Start to take on small jobs. Plan on 5 years and then suddenly you will bloom to significant status.

I love all this advice! The only thing I would add would be: “Watch the crap, too!” Sometimes, watching a badly put together movie is the best teacher for what NOT to do!

Join a Film Festival Review Committee! Film fests are awesome to visit anyway for ideas but remember this…for every one short film that MADE it in there are likely 10 that DIDN’T! By joining an FFRC you will learn WHY. And, FFRCs are looking for people, normal people, to review movies. They aren’t looking for professional movie makers because they wantfilms that connect to everyday people. (Now, don’t flame me for calling professionals not everyday people…let’s face it…we aren’t!)

Participant

I’ll give you somewhere to start.I think these are the topicsyou would want to know whenyou wanna get started:

Arperture

180 degree rule

Gain

Shutter speed

Aspect ratio

film/video formats & Codecs

Focus & Focal length

Depth of field

Editing video(color correction, L-cut, J-cut, intercutting, Mise en scene, Close/open framing, logging, capturing etc)

Writing a script

drawing a storyboard

Lighting(Kelvin scale, three point lighting, lightmeters, footcandles, histogram, classification of lights etc)

Audio( Timbre, duration, velocity, audio mixers, cables, types of miss, stereo, Foley, Voice Overetc)

Off course there’s plenty more but these are the ones i can conjure up in one sitting.you can start somewhere along here then progress asyou wish. This site has a lot of good material..

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap