Newbie – Filming a workout video – need advice

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Newbie – Filming a workout video – need advice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Good day all,

I am going to be filming a couple of training videos this year. I am a well known bodybuilder (work at Chase Bank for a living). I am brand new to this.

I have been trying to get educated the last 2 months on what camera and what sw would be good. I was thinking about the Sony HDR-SR1 camcorder, and the Adobe Premier 3.0 SW.

What do you all think?

I want to be able to have awesome special effects, freeze frames, ability to go black and white, slow motion, and I will be overlaying alot of music.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
      John Meadows

Inactive

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post..much appreciated.
      I have been looking around locally, albeit not real hard, and I will continue to do so. The footage I am capturing will occur over a course of 16 so weeks, so I am thinking that I might have to do alot of the vidoe myself (i.e have someone film me).
      What is the feasability of me capturing the footage, and sending to someone such as yourself, with ideas on the end goal, and having you put it together..editing, music, packaging,etc.? Does that type of arrangement occur very often?

Regards,
      John

Inactive

Professionally, I do training and event videos each day of the week. If you like, I’d be happy to help and even post or produce with /for you

Here’s the gear I’d use
      2-4 cameras for each "action" sequence (like a workout) – ideally each camera would be operated, and there’d be a director with switcher selecting shots to 1 recorder (and each cam would record independently)

Single camera shotos when needed

talent wearing wireless mics, with audio person monitoring / mixing if there’s more than 1

lighting that’s appropriate, bright enough, and artistic in some way (basic 3 pt lighting at least

Post production in a professional software like FinalCut Pro

things done right, good camera framing, etc -don’t make a video you want to sell look like Uncle Guido after a case of beer.

Participant

Absolutely agree with others, you need a professional. You may need to rethink a whole idea, or do it in small pieces, step by step, if this is more affordable. Offer TV series to local Cable TV, so they can shoot it for you and you split the money, etc.

If I may suggest you to have a look at Tony Greco’s example: http://www.grecoleanandfit.com/
      He does what he knows best – fitness, and lets others do what they are good at.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video Guide

Inactive

Thanks for all the spot on advice. I ended up deciding to do a documentary, as my video is more about what happened to me, and how I trained to comeback from it. In 2005, I nearly bled to death while in the hospital from a rare disease called Idiopathic Myointimal Hyperplasia of the Mesenteric Vein. After 4 major surgeries, and losing my entire large intestine, I have been building myself back up slowly. Before the disease occured, I had been a national champion in bodybuilding. I found an awesome video production company here in Columbus to do the shooting. I am very exicted about the project. My doctors are all excited too, as they know how close I was to death, what I went through physically, and how hard I hard worked to bounce back. We start filming in 2 months. I would love to post bits and pieces on here as I go, to get feedback from you all. You can do a google search with my name and type in bodybuiling, and you’ll see who I am.

Best regards,

John Meadows

Participant

That’s great! Please keep us posted.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap