Newbie editing and compression question

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

I am struggling with understanding compression. I am of the understanding that ideally one would shoot in a minimally compressed file format and then upload into software such as Corel VideoStudio X2 at which time edits, transitions and subtitles are added. Then the compressed version would be saved for actual use. Based on my needs, I’ll likely use H.264 which I understand is the same thing as AVCHD. With this scenario, the compression only occurs as the last step.

However, the camera I am looking at, a Panasonic AG-HMC70u, records in AVCHD, and I don’t understand what happens when I import into VideoStudio and edit. Are there potential problems editing and subtitling video that is already compressed with AVCHD by the camera? When I export the “final version” will that version be “double compressed” – once by the camera and again by the software?

Many thanks to anyone who can help explain this to me!

Participant

H.264 is not the same as AVCHD. I believe AVCHD uses the H.264algorithm, but they’re still not the same.

Almost all footage is compressed when being record. Only big time pros actually record/edit uncompressed video. The files are just too large for the average computer to handle.

So, technically yes, your footage is being compressed twice. Once when recorded, and then again on the export, unless you export as the same codec you are working in. That’s just how it is.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Video Editing Software

The best video editing software — 2020

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
homicide-bootstrap