Newbie Alert ! Help Needed Camera Settings !

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a “help the newbie” thread… up until 6 months ago I was shootign with a pretty simple Sony PC 120 video camera… but recently invested a big chunk of change on a Sony HD Z5E video camera… now all I need to do is work out what I should be setting the settings on lol…

I shoot in pretty small apartments usually… normally with some natural lighting, and I also throw 2x 650 Arri Juniors in to brighten things a little, even though dont usually notice too much difference with the natural light… Usually bounce the lights off the ceiling… as pointing them at the subject usually creats crazy shadows in the small area we shoot in…

So my questions are…

1. Shutter Speed… ? What shutter speed should I set the camera on ? I shoot glamour stuff so it’s models

2. DB Gain… I under stand it improves the brightness, but at what expense ? Does a higher DB gain make the image more grainy, like when you shoot in a high ISO on a stills camera ?

3. Does using a low F stop on the iris have the same effect as the stills camera, as in blurs background ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Participant

99% of the time you want to shoot at 1/60th shutter speed.

Yes, increasing gain creates grain. I usually don’t go over +3dB, but I rarely even do that.

Yes. F1.4 will have a shallower DoF than F8

Inactive

Hey Thanks Robert… I am such a newbie, I have been shooting on a shutter speed of 1000 and relying on the DB gain to suplement the light, I am guessing the video I already shot may be a little grainy 🙁 But at least I know for the future 🙂 Thanks again…

Participant

oh man…1/1000? That’s a really fast shutter speed. You will probably never need to go that fast.

The time when you want to increase shutter speed is when you are shooting something and have plans to slow down the footage in post. Increasing the shutter speed will reduce motion blur, but reducing the motion blur looks funny if your not slowing down the footage. so keep it at 1/60 for the most part.

Inactive

Thanks Mate as I said a total newbie 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap