Newbi needs help choosing the right Camcorder etc.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Im sure I can to the right place. I have NEVER worked behind a camera before. I can only explain what I am doing with the camcorder, but I need some help understanding video production equipment requirements & expectations to pull this off. I am going to film an Inspirational T.V program. It is going to be me speaking directly into the camera. The long shots while Im speaking probably will not exceed 30ft and at that distance I dont want to sound like Im a mile away or in a can. I will shoot most my footage outdoors along the coast, near or on a boat. (I will avoid all saltwater spray Ill just be speaking). It may take 30min to60mins of raw footage to create the 30min show. After editing the whole show I will make it available online to download and view. The show will also be broadcasted on T.V. one day, but I already have a Profe$$ional available when the time comes. Before I spend the big bucks on the prostime-dime I want to create my own with as great a quality as I can for about $1,300.00 budget (camera & tripod). For now the goal is a very good quality program for web and possibly late night T.V. but it MUST NOT look like a scene out of Americas Funniest Videos.. cheap. I would like to go as far as I can producing the show on my own. Realistically by the time I can afford good airtime. Ill be ready for the Pro$ and great broadcast quality video. Am I asking for too much for too little? A sales rep at a commercial store advised me to look at a 3CC like the Sony DCR-DVD405 & gun-mic. or better. What do you suggest?

Inactive

u will not be able 2 get a real high quality camera and tripod for $1300 but its a start i dont have a lot of experance with lower quality cameras but for 1000 bucks you can get a camera that should work and it will not look like afhv X-D use a tripod, set the white balince and ur on ur way

Inactive

Thanks for the help, but what is a "white balince" you mentioned after the tripod?

Inactive

its used 2 make sure white is white its easy 2 set most mini dv cameras have it i have seen many videos ruined b/c white bal was not set

Inactive

ModeF8U

It sounds like you really want to do a nice job which is great but to be brutally honest with you I dont think youll be able to do that for $1300.00. Because youre planning on getting this on TV you would probably want to use a good 3-chip camera. A decent Sony or Canon camera will run you around $2000.00 to $2300.00. An adequate tripod will be in the $300 to $500s range and from the plan you spelled out, you would need a good wireless mic system which can run between $500.00 and $900.00. A shotgun mic wont work if youre 20 to 30 feet away like you mentioned. Especially by a windy shoreline.

Now Im not sure if youre planning on generating any revenue or not but if you are, maybe look into renting equipment for your first few shows. Once some money starts rolling in, eventually will be able to afford your own equipment which would be more suitable for your needs.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for the response. True, I do want to do a good job but When it comes to getting the show on T.V. I already have a crew and gear available. I just don’t want to have to hire them through all my "rookie" trial and error’s as I develop my self, and stlye and the show- infront on the lens.
    I am looking for the best quality "bang for my buck" while in the develpomental stage. I may have to use this video to get sponsors. Everyone will know up front that this is not the broadcast quality show- But I want them to say it still looks pretty darn good, even if they see it over the web.
    In other words; The "prototype" isn’t the end product, you’ll spend the least on it, but try to get the most out of it. Do you still think I need to go as high as $3,000.00( even if I have to spend a little more than 1,500.00).

Inactive

‘lo modef8u,

whoa! slow down n give yerself time ta learn n know how ta wisely git yer best quality "bang for my buck". read videomaker mag. look fer back issues in library or on ebay. read some videomaking how to books. read videomaker mag archives online. read reviews on cnet and amazon, etc. take a beginning video production course at a community college. look at camcorderinfo.com n other forums. search on camcorders on ebay. look at completed listings to learn prices. consider starting with a used behringer xm8500 mic, with enuf cord fer yer 30 ft run, fer under $40, and a used velbon videomate 607 tripod under $40 and an under $200 camcorder (all including s/h) for your "rookie" trial and error’s. look fer listings where seller says "this is my camcorder. i bot it 3 yrs ago n used it 2x. i just found it again in back of closet. like new. etc, etc". find local videomaker groups. look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com. look at camcorder manufacturer sites to read/print manuals. talk to their customer service.

n have yerself some BIG FUN!

poi[/b]

Inactive

ModeF8U Wrote:

Thanks for the response. True, I do want to do a good job but When it comes to getting the show on T.V. I already have a crew and gear available. I just don’t want to have to hire them through all my "rookie" trial and error’s as I develop my self, and stlye and the show- infront on the lens.
    I am looking for the best quality "bang for my buck" while in the develpomental stage. I may have to use this video to get sponsors. Everyone will know up front that this is not the broadcast quality show- But I want them to say it still looks pretty darn good, even if they see it over the web.
    In other words; The "prototype" isn’t the end product, you’ll spend the least on it, but try to get the most out of it. Do you still think I need to go as high as $3,000.00( even if I have to spend a little more than 1,500.00).

OK, with that in mind, you might be able to pull this off. To accomplish what youre trying to do, you should be able to get a relatively decent MiniDV camera for between $400.00 and $1000.00. There is a huge number of cameras out there in that price range and unfortunately Im not a total expert on every one. Your best bet is to do your homework. Talk with people and maybe do some research. You can also find a lot of info on the Internet. You can get relatively cheap tripods too. Here again ask and shop around for there are many makes and models there as well. The item you probably would want to make sure you get is a wireless mic system. That is standard practice in an application such as yours. Nobody uses wires anymore. Remember though, in this industry, you get what you pay for and that can make a huge difference in the final product.

On a side note, its great to hear that someone is going to jump into the industry. Im sorry that I cant me more specific on what actually to buy but part of being in this field is being able to educate yourself on each aspect and making sound decisions. Be aware however that its not as easy as it looks. Especially what youre trying to do. Of course the only way to learn is to do it.

Good luck my friend!

RAM

Inactive

Hey Mode, I am a beginner too and I thought I would chime in and help you learn from some of my mistakes.

The first few things I learned (the hard way) when I bought my first consumer grade digital camera is….

1. Make sure it has a mic input. A lot of the lower cost cameras don’t have this, especially if you are looking in that under $1000 range. A wireless mic will do you no good if you don’t have something to plug it in to.

2. Don’t get caught up on Digital Zoom specs. Digital Zoom sucks. Turn it off. Get a camera that has good optical zoom specs.

3. Don’t get caught up in silly effects. Don’t pay extra for special fading or other effects. You can do all of the effects that you need in your editing software later. Spend your money to get good inputs and outputs, optical zoom performance etc.

4. One big thing I learned is that you can make the video shot on a cheaper camera look a LOT better with the right lighting and angles.

Go to this website…. It is great for the beginner with a lot of different short videos on techniques etc….

http://www.izzyvideo.com

Mark

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap