Newb looking to buy a new HD camera… Sony HVR-A1U?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Budget is between $2k-$2.5k. Want to be able to make great looking short films. I’ve had problems in the past with noise issues.

Initial shopping around and looking online has led me to Sony HVR-A1U. Most/all of the reviews that I’ve read online has said this is a good camera.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What is everyone’s opinion on this camera, especially for the price? I’ve found it for around $2.5k. Are there other cameras in that price range that I should also be looking at?

I’m really concerned about the bang-for-the-bug thoughts.

THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME. JUST STARTING OUT LOOKING BUT WANT TO MAKE A PURCHASE BEFORE TOO LONG.

Inactive

I haven’t had any actual experience with this camera but I believe it’s a 1 chip camera. If a 3ccd is what you’re looking for, you may want to skip this one.

Inactive

I have one, and it’s nice because its a cheap way to get into HDV however it does come at a cost. The mic is only so so and you should probably be replaced but with the XLR inputs thats an easy fix. The automatic focus on the camera is VERY slow so you have to be careful about that. The biggest drawback is its performance in low light. With sufficient lighting the picture quality is awesome but as soon as the lights get dim, the performance drops way off. Thats all the bad things ive noticed about it.

Some things I like about it is the 2 XLR input, makes using external mics very easy. The mic that comes with it can be replaced by only turning a thumb screw. And as long as there is light, the picture quality is very good. Thats some of the positives about that.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Stock media: How to find and use the best stock photos, videos, music and more

Acquiring stock media and editing it into your project is very often faster, cheaper and much more convenient than creating that media yourself.
homicide-bootstrap