New tripod advise

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all, I have read through a lot the forum topics on tripods and there was some great info there but some of the posts where fairly old. I have read that the 501 fluid head has been redesigned and is better than it used to be, has anyone used the new version, and if so, is the 503 still a much better head? Also, has anyone used one of the monopods with the legs that open up on the bottom, would they hold a xh-a1? Thanks for the help!

Participant

Was looking at BH and found this combo. Is there anything here that I should look out for? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=523094&is=REG

Inactive

Binnz7dw,

Something good that the 503HDV (latest version of the 503) has is an illuminated bubble level. This is very useful indoors, as there usually isn’t that much light faling on the tripod. I’ve tried holding a flashlight between my chin and shoulder while adjusting the level with one hand and tightening the leveling ball with the other hand. Having an illuminated bubble level would be pure luxury. Also, I’ve read posts from 503-owners that the 503 has smoother starts than the 501.

Ken Hull

Inactive

I was just looking at that B&H page your post linked to. That tripod has a center post which allows getting up to 74″. That’s a nice feature not many tripods have. It does not have a leveling ball, which would have made setting up the tripod/camcorder a bit more convenient (not a show-stopper, though).

Ken

Participant

Thanks Ken! One more question, for shooting events and weddings do you think it would be better to use a monopod with a fluid head on it or a shoulder support system. Would probably be easier to move around with the shoulder support but I have never used one and am not sure how steady they are. Any recommendations?

Inactive

I’ve never done a wedding, but I would think that the ceremony itself would require a tripod, while every thing else (including the reception) would be hand-held, shoulder-mounted (if that is an actual term), or monopod-mounted. BTW, while a fluid head would be great for a tripod, I think it wouldn’t be of any help on a monopod.

Ken

Participant

I use tripods on the stationary cameras but was wondering about the camera that I am operating and moving around with (sometimes in a hurry) I have been using a monopod without a head on it and I think there are sometimes when a head would be nice to have. I have never used a shoulder support and was curious as to how steady they are.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap