New to Video – Panasonic PV-GS300

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello everyone!

I’ve read around a bit, but am completely new to this sort of thing. I have always thought it would be fun, but never did anything much with it.

About a year ago, I purchased a GS300 for shooting simple things, like my kids at Easter, christmas, etc.

My question is, is the GS300 capable of much more? I knowvery littleabout shooting video, but would like to work on making short films, shooting random videos (MX, skate, etc).

I was curious as to if I should/could buy different lenses for the GS300 that would help make it a capable machine, or if I needed to upgrade entirely, in which case I might just put this back on the ‘wish list’ of things I’d like to try some day (having 2 kids means I dont have a big budget of $$ to be spent on hobbies!)

Is it a good camcorder? When looking online I saw lots of good things about it for shooting family events and such, but now I’d like to do more. Should I sell it and upgrade? Keep it around?

Any info is appreciated…

Participant

There are two main advantages to this camera:

3ccd=nice picture!

External microphone input= the opportunity for better sound.

The downside is no headphone jack but I remember reading that there are workarounds availble.

My not so expert opinion.

Hope it helps!

Dave

Inactive

I have owned a PV-GS300 for about two years. I have used it for short films, documentaries, commercials, and most recently as the B-Roll camera for a school musical. I have used it side-by-side with $5k pro cameras and have the found that the picture quality is fantastic, especially if your lighting is good. Yes, the audio issues can be worked around. I found that by practicing with a good shotgun mic, I could get pretty good audio. I could then fix anything else in post. Now I simply record to a portable multi-track recorder and use the camera just for the video. Feel free to check out the demo-reel on my (in progres) website; I shot it with the PV-GS300. (http://sdgstudio.net/samples.aspx)

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Participant

Also find a camera that is better in low light, perhaps a Canon Vixia HL-10

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap