New to Video – Panasonic PV-GS300

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello everyone!

I’ve read around a bit, but am completely new to this sort of thing. I have always thought it would be fun, but never did anything much with it.

About a year ago, I purchased a GS300 for shooting simple things, like my kids at Easter, christmas, etc.

My question is, is the GS300 capable of much more? I knowvery littleabout shooting video, but would like to work on making short films, shooting random videos (MX, skate, etc).

I was curious as to if I should/could buy different lenses for the GS300 that would help make it a capable machine, or if I needed to upgrade entirely, in which case I might just put this back on the ‘wish list’ of things I’d like to try some day (having 2 kids means I dont have a big budget of $$ to be spent on hobbies!)

Is it a good camcorder? When looking online I saw lots of good things about it for shooting family events and such, but now I’d like to do more. Should I sell it and upgrade? Keep it around?

Any info is appreciated…

Participant

There are two main advantages to this camera:

3ccd=nice picture!

External microphone input= the opportunity for better sound.

The downside is no headphone jack but I remember reading that there are workarounds availble.

My not so expert opinion.

Hope it helps!

Dave

Inactive

I have owned a PV-GS300 for about two years. I have used it for short films, documentaries, commercials, and most recently as the B-Roll camera for a school musical. I have used it side-by-side with $5k pro cameras and have the found that the picture quality is fantastic, especially if your lighting is good. Yes, the audio issues can be worked around. I found that by practicing with a good shotgun mic, I could get pretty good audio. I could then fix anything else in post. Now I simply record to a portable multi-track recorder and use the camera just for the video. Feel free to check out the demo-reel on my (in progres) website; I shot it with the PV-GS300. (http://sdgstudio.net/samples.aspx)

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Participant

Also find a camera that is better in low light, perhaps a Canon Vixia HL-10

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap