New to editing. Best CPU?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

Im just starting my adventure with video editing. As of now, I have a Core2Duo 2,66ghz for a S775 motherboard. Is it better to get a faster dual core CPU or a slightly slower Quad Core for Sony Vegas?

Thanks.

Participant

I use Sony Vegas Pro 11. I have a Core i7-2600K @ 3.4ghz w/16GB RAM and a EVGA GeForce GT430 video card (Cuda cores make a difference with VP11). I am blown away by how fast my renders go and how easy it is to edit MTS files directly.

Last night I rendered a 32 minute HD (1080p) piece in less than two hours, using lots of FX (color correction & brightness/contrast) and large Digital Juice assets (some backgrounds were > 6GB, most in the 3gb-4gb range as quicktime files).

As a rule, the biggest, most powerful CPU you can get today is where you should look – It will make a difference and help you put off buying/building another system for a year or more (my last box lasted ten years because I did this – It still is OK for general office use).

Participant

good advice from birdcat, but if you’re not in the mood to spend, i’d just push my cpu a bit by overclocking. you might find that your performance is faster with a higher clocked dual core than a slower quad core. i’ve overclocked my dual core with good results

if you’re buying new, by all means spend the extra few hundred on a faster cpu.

but why not wait until you need it because your renders are taking too long? that’s when you’ll appreciate it πŸ™‚ in computers, the longer you wait, the more you get for your $$.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap