New sony consumer HDV cam.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Any of you guys interrested in trying out HD, but not willing to put the money out there for the expensive cameras might be interrested in this. Seems that Sony is making an even bigger pitch to the consumer market with HDV.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=HDRHC3&Dept=cameras&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_HighDefinitionVideo

I personally own an FX1 and will look pretty heavily into getting one of these new little guys when they come out to save tape heads on my FX1, and to add as a good second cam. The biggest factor will be the price. Will they break the $1000 barrier, which is what I consider the consumer barrier? Guess we’ll see..
      Any thoughts on this camera, or what sony is doing to the video market focusing their push on HDV?

Later
      ~Adam

Inactive

I own a FX1 too, so I’m watching Sony.
      I think HDV will be the new DV standard within the next 2 or 3 years and I believe some new High Def standard will become the “Prosumer” format.

I think the more HDVs out there the better but what I really want [And I want it from Sony] is 1080p. I don’t know if Mini DV based formats can produce it without some new super high compression system, which would cause a new set of problems.

Inactive

How many minutes of film do you get on a 63min MiniDV tape with these cameras? I assume it’s less than SD. Also, are there any issues with using regular MiniDV tapes?

Participant

You get 63 minutes. It will record the same length as dv, because it is compressed to fit the 25mbps datarate of dv. Also, I use both standard mini dv tapes, as well as the High Def mini dv tapes. I go with the more expensive HD tapes when we’re specifically shooting for HD, but use the regular sony tapes the rest of the time, I have yet to have any problems with either types shooting HDV or DV.

later
      ~Adam

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

Anyone know when the burners are going to be available?

Hank, here is a blurp on a Blu-Ray drive by Samsung due in April.

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-11258-SH-B022A%2C%20Samsungs%20DVD%20of%20the%20future%20%28Newsby%20Nikko%29.html

Note the HD record speed. (2X) OUCH! I’m sure that will improve over time. And for a really BIG OUCH! $500.00 MSRP 😯

The one thing I didn’t know which is really nice is that they are saying that this Blu-Ray drive will be backwards compatible with DVD and even CD’s on your PC. HOWEVER… if I’m understanding this correctly you will need a special set-top player to play these Blu-Ray disks (BD) which I kind of figured would be the case. At least those would be backwards compatible as well so you don’t have to throw all of your existing DVD’s away <or> have keep 2 players.

The other issue of course still remains. HD-DVDs vers Blu-Ray?

RAM

Inactive

alohrey Wrote:

I go with the more expensive HD tapes when we’re specifically shooting for HD, but use the regular sony tapes the rest of the time, I have yet to have any problems with either types shooting HDV or DV.

Is there a difference between the tapes? I hate to pay $15 for a tape just bacause it says "ideal for HD". Is it kind of like regular unleaded and premium gasoline, in that one is better than the other, but they both will work just fine?

Inactive

BTS Wrote:

Is it kind of like regular unleaded and premium gasoline, in that one is better than the other, but they both will work just fine?

Haaaaaa!

I like it!

X-D

Participant

when you get a dropped frame in HDV, it’s actully like getting about 13 dropped frames because of the way the long GOP compression works.. (Yeah, it sucks) I have only gotten one or two dropped like that shooting HDV, and they have been when I use sony premium dv tapes rather than HD tapes. There really is a real applicable difference that justifies my use of the HD tapes for some shoots, that is at least until I get dropped frames on the HD tapes, then I will just be very angry.

later
      ~Adam

Inactive

I have heard and seen autofocus problems with this camera..
      Please let me know of your problems with this camera in this area if you are an owner..

It would be nice to knwo the pros & cons of this camera.

james

Participant

Does the FX-1 shoot in 16 /9 only or can it do 4/3?
      Also owners out there how does the option of recording video at either 30 fps or with a feeling of film-like" 24 fps differ?
      Hows the quality compare to other professional cameras you own?

Inactive

the fx1 does 3 modes:

HD 16:9, dv 16:9 and dv 4:3

Love this thing, although I am starting to "track" it out.. I epexied some velcro stips to the tape door , then i put the other part of the velcro on the 2 channel wireless mic receiver. this way i can mount the receiver and still have the hot shoe available for a light or other accesory.

Inactive

here is a pic of one of the singel channel mic receivers

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap