New project raises questions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello All,

I used to read videomaker magazine when I had a Canon XL-1S until the Army broke it for me during a move then told me go to Wal mart to shop for a new one. So Ive been out for awhile and lost touch. The point is I have the option to get into video making again for a start up organization to create a series of videos for atmosphere.

They need a wall (tiki hut) with the 3 Plasma TVs to display video. Easy enough they are paying 8)…. 3 different videos shot with three different cameras at the same time. Imagine being in a beach house and seeing a cruise liner pass through each window. Thats the effect we are looking for. They are trying to have these Plasmas act as "windows".

I need to know how do I get these videos to run in sync on these plasmas with minimal hardware setup? Thought about doing a dual monitor setup with a compy but you cant run 2 VLC players or anything like that at one time on one compy. If I run each video on a individual computer then how to get them to start the video at the same exact time?

Is there software for this? Ive been out of the game for awhile. PLease please help!

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Inactive

I’d just burn three tapes with matching timecode and a nice long leader so that you can sync them live

Participant

Your tax dollars at work! j/k X-D

You can add additional video cards to 1 computer and run Media Player Classic (or probably VLC) on all 3 at once. Just start the videos manually and have them loop. They should stay in synch for a long time.

BTW, you would need to duplicate the video so that you have each player using a different one.

Inactive

If you record the three videos onto DDRs (digital disk recorders, basically video decks that use hard drives instead of tape) with GPI triggers, you can just cue them to the start every time and close a switch wired in parallel to transistors attached to each (note that the transistors are a requirement, otherwise you’ll blow them all!, or you could just use a pushbutton that acts as three separate pushbuttons)

Participant

Maybe this is too complicated, but could create a video clip that is three times the width of the actual video, then set up three tracks of the same video, delaying them acording to where the plasmas are. Figure out how many frames it takes for an image to leave one monitor, and delay the other two pictures acording to that.

Then, set up all three monitors on one computer so that the video stretches through all three. I’m not sure if this makes sense, it’s a tad complicated, but would be synched because it’s only 1 video being played.

Another idea, is if you can start multiple players (Someone said Media Player Classic can do that I think?), what if you wrote a batch file that started one player, waited a set amount of time, started the second and did the same for the third. You’d be running three players, so it would be possible to get out of synch, but at least it would be easy to start all three.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases — 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap