“New Kid on the Block”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone, I am a SLR guy myself, but I am helping out my son in his aspirations to get into the videographer/editing field as a career. He’s a young 22 year who has completed a year of schooling and has been out numerous times with his instructors and on his own for a few different projects. He currently is video tapeing/editing a local cooking series. He is new and somewhat green but is working hard toto create better thingsdown the roadand create opportunites for himself.

Early next year he is scheduled to go to Africawith a non profit group to shoot some video, and make a documentary of the groups envolvement with helping children in the schools.

This is where I would kindly like to ask for your help, in helping me to help him.

He currently has a canon GL2 camera.

#1 I am looking to purchase forsome type of lightingkit that he can use for the cooking projects. It is taped in a large commercial kitchensome where around 25×30 ft. They are currently just using the kitchen flor lights. My budget is around 500. Should i look at Florescent or Tunsten?

#2 I am also would like to purchase some sort of remote mic(s) system for him. Something that will help with the cooking show as well as the Africe trip. I would think he’ll need 2 for sure for AFrica??

#3 Although the camera we have is not HD we are told he would get better results with HD tapes? true or false? ANy specific brands you could recommend?

I would appreciate and thank you for all input.

My Son’s dad….Dave. (LOL)

This light kit can help. It’s cheap and not heavy-duty construction, but it does an outstanding job, and should work excellently for the cooking show. That would leave plenty of room on the budget for also acquiring an on-camera 10-to-20-watt unit for fill or key, and that light (battery powered) would also come in handy in the Dark Continent.

I use and LOVE the Sony UWP-V6 wireless system that includes a lavaliere and a plug-in to convert most XLR hand-held mics to work on the transmitter/receiver as well. It runs close to $1K (I paid a little over $700 for each of mine) but is a really rugged system that should work in both arenas. If one lav and one hand-held will suffice, then one system would be enough IMHO.

I’ve not noticed an appreciable difference and yes, I’ve tried it. There’s certainly NOT enough quality boost or strength to warrant the price difference between Sony’s Premier MiniDV and the company’s HD stock. I’ve used a pair of Canon XL1 and a GL2 for a long, LONG time and ONLY use the Sony premier MiniDV (60 min, NOT the 80 – too thin) on 60-min only, not extended record. They’re totally sufficient.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap