New guy needs advice about XLR Adapter

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound New guy needs advice about XLR Adapter

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am thinking about getting the panasonic dvc30 and was looking into buying one on B&H. The recommend buying the AG-MYA30G – XLR Microphone Adapter and Mount. Should I buy this XLR adapter, is there a better one out there, does it matter? The list price is $229.00 Thanks for all your help.

Participant

What kind of adapter would I use to bring in a single source of audio? Is it just a cable that converts from xlr to mic input? How would I attach it to the camcorder? Thanks for all your help.

Participant

Thanks for your help compusolver. I really appreciate it.

Inactive

I purchased the adaptor and now I have a noticible audio "hum" when I use it. I seem to remember instructions but, as we all know, men don’t read instructions. Need some help please!

Inactive

I used a shotgun mic and wireless hand held mic. I did have the camera AC powered that could have something to do with it. However I did get intouch with Beachtek and they are faxing me the information.

thanks,

Inactive

Incomel,
      I got the DVC30, but not any XLR adapter. I’ve been using the Rode Videomic, which has a stereo miniplug that can plug into the stereo minijack on the DVC30. I then got an 18′ mic extension cable from RadioShack. (Actually, it’s a speaker extension cable, but it has the correct connetors on it.) Generally, I’ve been happy with that…with one exception. When I use the camcorders AC adapter, that mic cable picks up a very loud hum. If I had been using a balanced cable with XLR connectors, I’m sure I wouldn’t have had that problem. Balanced lines are designed to cancel out external electrical noise. Some switches and fluorecent lights can cause such noise. Balanced lines with XLR connectors would be VERY useful if you’re shooting video in an environment that you cannot control (like event videography). In my case, all I had to do was switch to battery operation.

BTW, a balanced line is one where there are 2 signal wires and a ground wire. The 2 signal wires are carrying the same signal, but 180 degrees out of phase with each other. So that, as one goes positive, the other goes negative. That way, any external electronmagnetic field crossing the cable will affect the signals on the 2 wires in "opposite directions", thus cancelling out the disturbance. If you get a mic with an XLR connector, you can assume it is set up for balanced line operation.

BTW2, some XLR mics have their own battery for power. Others require the camcorder (or XLR adapter) to provide 48vdc power superimposed on the mic cable. They call this phantom power. Some mics, and most XLR adapters, give you the option to switch between power methods. Make sure your XLR adapter and mic are both set to the same method, or something might get fried.

My 3 cents worth πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Participant

I was told with the vx2100 that if you hook up an RCA male to XLR female you need to switch around audio options in the menu screen from (if memory serves me right) RCA unbalanced to XLR balanced. But I can’t find those options anywhere on the camera, is that bullcrap or am I missing something?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock media sites β€” 2019

If you’ve so far avoided using stock media in your projects because of the stigma it carries in certain filmmaking circles, you’re missing out.
homicide-bootstrap