New Computer Shopping Confusion

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am shopping for a new Desktop that will be very productive with dv for now and possibly HD for the future. I have been doing computer shopping in many places including a website called TigerDirect.com

I cannot understand the pricing of their desktop items. I have currently found a desktop that I think would be sufficient for my needs…

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1723227&CatId=1885

It almost seems to be too good of a deal unless I am missing something. I looked at some of their "gaming" desktops that had less advanced specifications priced considerably higher. An example is…

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706669&CatId=114

I am wondering that if the first desktop I discussed is possibly refurbished? It is difficult to tell from the description. Could anyone give me some advice on this or any other places for good computer shopping?

Inactive

The world of computers is vast and wide not to mention confusing. To address one of your questions, typically the biggest influence on prices for PCs are CPUs, graphics cards and the amount of RAM. Gamer style PCs are always higher because they install very high end graphics cards. Some of these cards can run as much as $600.00 alone. These cards assist or work together with the CPU to render games faster giving you a more realistic playing experience.

In video editing, those same high end cards are not really necessary. For video style machines, you would want a fast CPU for processing (Duel core or twins is even better), a fast FSB MoBo and as much fast RAM as you can afford. If you are thinking about HD, I would recommend no less than 2 Gigs. Alsomake sure you get multiple SATA HDs with a lot of available space because DV video files can take up a lot of room.

Other things to look for and consider when putting together a machine would be component brand names and upgradeability. All I can suggest is that you do the research and educate yourself on what is needed and whats important. You can find all of that info on the INET. For the most part, a lot of us build our own because you can customize it the way you want to and by ordering the components separately you can save a lot of money if you are a good shopper. Prices on the INET are WAY cheaper than retail stores. There was a post in here somewhere of which one of the guys put together a shopping list for a customized machine and then compared that to a comparable Dell with the same specs and I want to say that the cost savings was like between $500.00 and $800.00. Maybe it was even more! I know way back when I built mine I saved a $100.00 on just a graphics card by ordering it via the INET versus buying it from Compusa. Good luck!

RAM

Inactive

While many users will argue that AMD is faster than Pentiums, AMD is not the best choice if you plan on doing video editing and production. Adobe products do not work well, if at all, on AMD. If your a gamer, AMD is the way to go.

In order to get an AMD system to work well with editing, make sure it supports SSE2 instructions. The newer line on Adobe products such as Premiere Pro 2 and Encore 2 REQUIRE it.

I am a member of the Adobe user forum and I’ve read TOO many times users ripping apart Adobe for making junk software ’cause they can’t get it to work on their AMD. Its a long, on going debate. I’m not going to bad mouth AMD because I don’t use them. I never have. But many users in the Adobe forum have used both and all agree that AMD is not well suited for video production.

If your new system won’t be used in this manner, your probably safe. My girlfriend bought a computer from TigerDirect and it runs nice.

1 more suggestion, have you looked at newegg.com. I bought all the parts for my recently built system from them. They rock!

Inactive

Thanks everybody, the suggestions helped a lot. I will definantly check out Newegg.com and now I think I have decided on a Pentium over AMD. (I also do website design so I think this would be a better processer anyway). The article at Videoguys.com looks interesting i’m looking forward to when they get the results from the processor comparison.

Inactive

I would like to politely disagree to the post made about choosing Pentium over AMD. Although I have been using AMD systems for awhile, I am no stranger to Pentium based computers. I currently have a dual-core AMD 4200+ and 2GB of RAM on my Shuttle SNP25. I also have an ATI AIW x600 256MB video card, and 700GB HD storage (SATA). When choosing the upgrade purchase I made a few months ago, I looked far and wide for comparisons, tips, reviews, and even considered a Mac (gonna wait for the dual core MacBook Pros to drop a bit). Using this upgrade path, I have been using the Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 trial version for about 10 days, and have had good success with DV and HDV footage from my Sony HDR-HC1 camera. It notices and loads multiprocessor support, and renders MUCH quicker than my old single core 3500+ AMD processor. I haven’t been to the adobe.com forums to understand why there is such a discrepancy, but my personal opinion is that AMD works fine.

Inactive

"mauitek"

I kind of have to agree with you. I have 3 PC’s in my edit bay of which 2 of them are running on AMD single core chips and the other on a Pentium. I do all my work on the AMD’s and I have absolutely no problems with any of the Adobe products.

IMO, the AMD-Pentium debate could go on forever. Unfortunately it’s not just the chip that makes a system good, bad or ugly. It’s a combination of the MoBo and it’s chipset, the vid card, the RAM SIMMs and the various peripherals. Then you have to make sure you have all of the latest upgrades and drivers so that everything will work in perfect harmony thus resulting in a trouble free machine. People have a tendency to always blame the CPU when things don’t work right when in fact 75% of the time it could be the chipset on the MoBo that maybe isnt the best one for that CPU or the application youre using the PC for. The chipset on a MoBo is ALWAYS overlooked and taken for granted. Thats why people really need to do a lot of homework before building or having one built. Slow and crappy RAM can cause problems too. They are NOT all the same quality.

BTW: There are a few other guys in this forum running duel core AMDs too and I seem to recall them loving their systems as well.

kkmac: Sorry man but I cant really say that one is better than the other. It still comes down to system combination setups and user preferences I still love ya though! πŸ˜€

RAM

Participant

We used to tewll our customers to stick with Intel. Witht he latest round of dual-core processors this is no longer the case.

Back in the end of 2005 we realized that our first two DIY projects had gotten pretty long in the tooth. While they were pretty cutting edge at the time, we were seeing some very new and exciting technologies breaking out. The most exciting was dual core processors.

The advantages of Dual Core processors for video editing are significant. The biggest is price / performance. Most video editing applications are written to take advantage of dual processors and hyperthreading, now with a single affordable chip, you can maximize this capability.

With a Dual-Core processor the installation and set up of our DIY4 machines was very easy. As you will see from this article, you can build a killer dual core workstation for under $2,000 that will give you outstanding performance for all your editing and encoding needs.

Check out Videoguys DIY4 Dual-Core face off article http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html

Inactive

My only experience I have with AMD is this Dinosaur I use just for internet. Its an old Athlon 848 with 128 MBs of RAM. I can’t give an accurate opinion on any new AMD processors. I have read many stories by people who use both and the opinion favors Intel. The real hangup with the Adobe compatibility is the SSE2 instructions. Many AMDs did not support it, thus the problem. Many new AMDs now support it, which leads me to believe the problem is fixed. If it is fixed, then building a dual "dual-core" AMD system might be a good look at. Just think, 4 independent processors. Make sure to install a seat belt.

Participant

Any AMD chip that you would purchase today has SSE2 instructions. AMD chips are currently faster than the intel equivalent. I would go with AMD if I was going to buy a windose pc. Also avoid referbs they are probably fine but if the hard drive goes early you will wish you had spent the extra cash. If you do get a referb get it from a reputable dealer like straight from the manufacturer (eg apple, Gateway…) Also check out apple’s latest offerings. If you want to work in the industry Final Cut Pro and Avid run the show as far as the pros go.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap