New Computer Build

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Now that windows 7 is out I am planning on building a new computer using the Windows 7 64bit OS.

I have Vegas Pro 8 and I will re-install it on the new computer. I was wonderning about any pitfalls I should be aware of moving to a 64bit operating system with Vegas Pro 8?

I am moving from a single core running xp so a big processing leap for me going to a quad core.

Thanks for your help

Participant

I’m no expert with Vegas Pro 8 (haven’t even used it), but I am almost certain that upgrading a 64-bit quad-core system will definitely give you a smoother experience with editing. Now about trying to re-install Sony Vegas on your new system, I’d definitely give it a shot.

Anyway, can you tell me about your experience with Windows 7. With Windows Vista, you needed a processor with at least the capabilities of a quad-core to get anything decent. An operating system with a lot of features, but cheap in design, as far as speed and processing goes. At this time (around 2007), many had stood their ground with their good-working Windows XP system. The richer people pulled the plug on Microsoft altogether by switching to a Mac. Has this changed for Windows 7, or have they ignored the vast majority of complaints and bug reports from its predecessor?

Participant

I am looking forward to trying it. My friend who is in the defense industry said their developers who were doing testing with the beta releases thought that it was very solid.

My son just upgraded to 7on his laptop and said the system is running much faster and the cooling fan is not running as much as before.

It will probably bee a couple of weeks before I order the parts for the build(As soon as I get approval from the CFO my wife)and I am just trying to understand any problems i may run into going to the 64 bit OS.

I will give a report after it is built and let everyone know how it workes out. I’m sure it will be faster than my single core amd chip with 2 gig of ram.

Cville,

I know Vegas 8.1 (upgrade download only) is ‘optimized’ for 64-bit in Vista. I noticed a few bugs capturing HD footage, but it seems to be just fine. 9.0 is supposed to be fully capable in the 64-bit realm. Haven’t jumped onboard yet as I currently work between Premiere and Vegas (particularly since prem gives better quicktime exports and vegas gives better avi-wmv/wma exports.)

I’ve been using 64-bit Vista Biz since last year and I much prefer the multi-core higher ram capabilities to the old 32-bit XP. My only gripes with Vista are the UAC (which can easily be turned off) and the RAM hogging Aero theme (which looks too much like mac envy and also can be easily turned off.) Win 7 is a stripped down, repackaged Vista so it should be just fine. I’ll put it in my next build, but I’m not rushing out to get it.

For more info go to the ‘To Build or Not to Build’ thread in the Editing section. Just do thorough research on the parts and software you plan to use.

Participant

composite1

Thanks for the input. I’m sure I will move to Vegas 9 sometime but right now I am going to spend my dollars on a new computer. I will check out the the “To Build or Not to Build” thread in the Editing section and review the hardware that I have selected.

Inactive

I’ve been using the Windows 7 64-BIT RC for a while now, and let me tell you something: It isdefinitelythe best OS ever (Yes, including Mac OS).

The Win 7 is like really really fast, really stable, and totally safe.

I used to have a Vegas PRO 9 64 bits on the win 7, and it was like the perfect match. I would preview the project on the BESTHALF in “Almost” real time. And the rendering to HD was like super fast. But then i had to change to Vegas Pro 9 32 bit because the Magic Bullet pluginwouldn’twork in the 64 bit version, but still, it worked super awesome (though not asfastas the 64 bit version).

You can’t go wrong withWindows7 and Vegas.

Participant

Wow I’m glad to hear about it. Microsoft has seem to had a growing trend in the past in their creation of new operating systems. They start out with something good and bathing themselves in the good customer feedback they get. They also seem to fall lax of performance in the next system they release.

The bad feedback (particularly with Windows Vista) keeps Microsoft from swaying into more features, with the side affect of bad performance. Not saying that more features is bad… With the right combination of design skills, Microsoft could have done a better job at making Vista more effecient.

Windows 7 was definitely a good breakaway.

Yeah it’s good to hear some pos news about Win 7. I figured once MS took out some of the gimmicky stuff out of vista, they’d have a really solid platform. MS’s problem these last few years is they’ve been trying to compete with mac and be ‘artsy and trendy’. Mac is good at that. MS strength has always been the software itself and the fact that it’s not proprietary to any one manufacturer. Yes you can make the GUI look like ‘candy or jewelry’ if think that’s going to boost sales, but don’t go so far that it cuts into performance. Between ME and the bad press Vista has gotten, I hope MS has learned its lesson. Most of the computers in the world run their software. Why are they cutting their own legs off trying to compete with mac? Leave the gimmicks, shinies and whirlygigs to mac. Just give us software that works efficiently and we users will take care of the rest.

BTW, Cville if you have any questions on your upcoming build feel free to ask. Between the other members and myself, I’m sure we can point you in the right direction.

Participant

Thanksall of the partsare on order. Ishould be building it this weekend.

Here is the processer and MB that I have ordered.

AMD Phenom II X4 945F 3.0g and ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 790X AM3 on a tight budget so I am only starting with 4 gig of ram.

Cville,

Let me know how that AMD works out for you. Though I’m back to using Intel’s, I’m still a fan of AMD’s. Four gigs huh? Try Tiger Direct and New Egg for parts and inexpensive RAM. You can get DDR2 800 4GB for cheap now so you’ll save some money and still have fast RAM. Don’t be too chintzy or extravagant with your choice of GPU. 500MB minimum (overclocked won’t hurt but watch out, they sometimes come with huge fans and water-cooling adapters.) Make sure you’ve got more PCI slots than GPU slots. If you’re not planning on running multiple GPU’s, more than one slot is a waste of space. Unless you want to do hardcore 3D work, no more than two will do.

Participant

composite1

I ordered all of my parts from New Egg. I went with thedual channelGSkillDDR3-DDR3-1600. I’ll add another 4 gig down the road. I just went back to work after being unemployed for 10 months.

My video work is just starting to generate some cash. Here is the video card POWERCOLOR AX4650 512MD2-LHV2 Radeon HD 4650 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card. Again somthing I can upgrade in the future.

All of the parts arrived today New Egg always exceeds my expectations. I ordered on Sunday. I have all of the parts in the case but I won’t get a chance to connect all of the cables until thursday. I hope to have Vegas 8 up and running this weekend.

I am anxious to see how the AMD as well as Windows 7 performs. Compared to what I am running now it should be a screemer. I looked at going with the intel i7 chip but it pushed be over what I could spend right now.

No hardcore 3D work.

Thanks for your input.

Cville,

Are those two GPU’s you listed? If so, I’d be interested to know how you get two different models to work together. New Egg does good pricing. However, as a dealer I generally go wholesale. Glad you’re back to work. I do understand about your CPU choice. I try to alert the forum folks interested in building that unless you’re pulling in the kind of money to justify the cost of high-end parts, it’s not worth the money. Mid-range parts are less expensive and the differences in speed are negligible. Not to mention if you just wait a while, those high-end part prices will come down to mid-range anyway.

And you’re welcome. Good luck on your build.

Participant

composite 1

It is one GPU the brand is PowerColor uses the ATI Radeon HD4650 gpu.

I have all of the cables connected and I will be powering it up tomorrow evening. Hopfully it won’t let any smoke out. πŸ™‚

Everything I have read about the AMD Phenom II x4 chip sounds promising. Not quite as fast as the i7.

It should be a fun weekend barring any major problems

FYI I got a Rosewill case and 630 watt powersupply bundle for under $100. I am really impressed with the case. It is one of the best cases I have ever used for building.

Cville,

Don’t forget your UPS! If you want to save your critical work and protect your valuable machine, a surge protector isn’t enough. You need an Uninterrupted Power Supply at minimum 200w over what your system’s power supply rating. The extra power will cover multiple GPU’s and other hardware that draw extra power (and keep those nasty UPS power alarms quiet until they’re needed!) So since your using a 630w power supply, you need an 800w or better UPS. Those extra minutes of emergency power available to save work before shutdown during a power outage will pay for the unit!

Participant

composite1

Thanks for te heads up. I’ll put it on the list. Maybe for Christmas.

An update on the build. Everything worked. I have the software loaded and I captured about 38min of hdv1080i form my sony hvr-hd1000u 161 clips and did not drop a singel frame. I ended up loading Vegas 8.0c after reading about 8.1 on the forums on the sony website. I guess I will wait for the 64 bit software untill I upgrade to Vegas 9

I still need to do some tweaking but I am very pleased with windows 7 and my AMD Phenom II processor so far.

Cville,

Sounds good. Feel free to drop some sample footage on us so we can see how your rig handled it. I’m seriously becoming unenchanted with 8.1. It’s too buggy and crashed on me during an edit last week. Fortunately, I also use Premiere Pro which is more stable. I’ll check out Vegas 9 eventually as I do like how Vegas handles exports to the various windows formats my clients ask for. In the meantime, don’t get too serious with your edits w/o a proper UPS. You’ll regret it.

Participant

I have had one video rendering problem on the new computer. I rendered out (video only wide screen dvd architect setting) for dvd some random clips for a test and the motion in the clips had very pronounced jaggies. I renderedwith all of the same settingsas onthe old computer. I then pushed the quality setting up to best and that seems to have resolved the issue but It was notrequired on the old computer. Not sure what the problem was.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap