New Canon HF S21- what do i need now?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

Just got my new HF S21 in the mail Monday- of course they just announced a new recorder that looks even better, but who cares. This thing shoots sharp as a tack.

The mini hot shoe is an issue for me- how do i mount my lights, externtal mics, etc? Do I have to buy all Canon supplied to fit that shoe? How about adding external XLR mics- do i need a Beachtek or something like it?

Has anyone used one of those handles from Opteka? How about a wide angle attachment?

I also want an underwater video case, underwater lights, and either HMI or flourescent studio lights for interviews.

Tell me what you’ve bought, and what works. Especially with frame rates.

Thanks.

Chris

Participant

Hi Chris

I recently purchased a Canon HF S21. I would not worry about the new model that they have announced this week but that we won’t see until later in the year, the HF S21 is plenty goodenough. The main advantage of the new model is the large focus ring. It still uses that same mini hotshoe as the S21

The mini hotshoe is a limiting factor. I have purchased a flash bracket that mounts underneath the camera and that allows me to use standard shotgun and wireless mics.

Because of the larger lens, there are many more filters and wide angle/telephoto adaptors available.

Heidi

Participant

Get the juicedlink over the beachtek.

If you’re shooting in the dark, you might need a light.

Participant

The HF 21 doesnt have a XLR port but it does have a aux port for external mics. You can buy a hot shoe adapter on amazon so non canon accessories will fit in the shoe. The Rode mics are great.

I have a stero RodePro mic, and a small LED light attach to a L bracket which screws in at the bottom of my cam.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap