New Camera recommendations

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am going to buy a couple of new cameras for heavy production work.

They do not need to be HD.

Budget: $1,800-$3,200.

Recommendations?

Inactive

OK, then… I like these two Panasonic cameras… I like the shoulder mount of the DV60… the DVX100 looks like it has some cinematic formatting that people who review the camera really like.

Opinions?

http://videomaker.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=13561692/search=Panasonic+DV60

http://videomaker.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3891372/search=Panasonic+DV60

Participant

How flexable do you need your shooting options to be? and is this price range for camera only. Also do you need to shoot live events?

I feel it is important to know what a person plans on shooting and how they plan on shooting it. I would reccomend different camera (or cameras) depending on what you are going to shoot, what your skill level is etc. Live events like concerts or Weddings, or planned events like filmmaking, or somewhere in between like documentaries. All important.

Inactive

Was that $3200 max for EACH camcorder, or for 2 camcorders? If for 2 camcorders, that seriously limits options. Here are my suggestions:

A year or 2 ago, there were 3 very good high-end consumer camcorders.
      Canon Optura XI, Panasonic PV-GS400, and Sony DCR-HC1000. You might still be able to find new ones somewhere.

As for what’s available now, Panasonic makes a couple inexpensive semi-professional shoulder-mount camcorders: the single-chip DVC7 and the 3-chip DVC20. But if you could increase your budget a little, either the Canon GL2 or the Panasonic DVC30 are solid professional units. Someone suggested the Panasonic DVC60 or DVX100, both fine camcorders (the DVX100 is awsome), but more expensive.

If the budget you stated was for EACH camcorder, then that opens up a lot of excellent choices, but it would help if you told us a few things:
      1. How important is low light performance? (Larger CCDs usually work best for that.)
      2. Going to use an external mic in an electrically-noisey area? (Woud want XLR inputs for that.)
      3. Going to be hand holding the camcorder much? (Shoulder-mount is good for that.)
      4. Going to need extreme telephoto? (Nature, sports, or survellance might need that.)

That’s my 3 cents worth. πŸ™‚
      Ken

Participant

Good suggestions, I would still like to know what Heavy Production work means.

I can personally vouch for Optura Xis there are very nice, but hard t find and they also do not give you all the manual control a professional would want. Then again no camera for under $2000 does.

I have always been bias towards Canon but Panasonic and Sony also ake good cameras. I just think Canon optics are better, so GL2s would be nice. On thing to think about is trying to match the camera brands and types. each brand and each model under each brand will have distinct traits to their video and having well matched video is important if you do not have the time in post production to clean it up and do color correction etc.

Inactive

OK, we are leasing a cable channel and are going to be filming a WIDE variety of things from high school sports to talk shows. We will be producing about three or four hours of new programming per week. We are going to be doing 10 minute "business profile" segments, a Chamber of Commerce talk show, etc.

The tech guys will handle most of this but when it comes to buying the equipment I want JUST the right cameras (3 of them soon).

The Panasonic DVX-100B really gets good reviews.

Participant

So I assuming that you are looking at $1,800 – $3,200 per camera then, and overall camera budget of around $9,000?

Okay so you got a local access channel. I would suggest the following. 2 DVX-100Bs for the in studio work. They are great cameras and I feel they are very well suited for studio work. Now if you are also shooting football and autdoor sports I would reccoment that you also get a Canon XL2 it is much better suited for outdoor action sequences and it is heavier and larger than the DVX and as a shoulder mounted camera Offers sooo much better stability that anything else. With XL2 you have 3 layers of stability protection. The weight alone stops most hand jitter, especially important when zoomed in, and you would be for sports shots. It also has an optical stabilizer, and on top of that it has digital stabilization. Really quite amazing.

I believe the DVX has XLR inputs, and I know the XL2 has XLR inputs perfect for mics. Both have 60i recording modes, which is TV standard. Perfect for you. I think that would eb your best bet.

If it were me I’d buy all XL2s (I am a Canon fanboy), but the price of the DVX is a little lower, and as long as you don;t plan on actually moving them during a shot they will work wonders.

Anyone Agree/Disagreee with me?

Some useful links also:

This is a good comparison of the DVX and XL2 (ignore the FX1 it apparently sucks) It is however extremely biased, and not exactly imparital. I mean come on you know DVX users aren’t going to properly use an XL2 and they will know the DVX backwards and forwards. But it is still a thunmping good read. And a great source of info.
      http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

XL2 is such a good camera an unbiased source did a feature tour of it. and it is neat to see some of the things it can do It is about a 30 minutes long video:
      http://syndicate.tentoe.com/canon/DemoMovie/XL2_demo_tour.mov

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap