Need to find camcorder for coaching athletes with video.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Need to find camcorder for coaching athletes with video.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am new to digital video, and I cannot decide whether to buy a miniDV camera or a Hard Drive camera. I hope someone will have some good advice for me.

Here is how I wish to use the camera that I will buy. Aside from the basic family events, I will use it to film sports events for the purpose of performance enhancement and coaching athletes. I want to be able to cut specific clips of the action and string together highlights so athletes can view themselves. I may wish to put in some captions or pointers to show what body parts are in good or bad position. I may want to produce slow motion. I will want to burn final product to DVD for easy viewing by the athlete.

I like the idea of a hard drive camcorder because of the apparent ease of transfer to PC and big storage without tapes, but I read that this MPEG compressed video is hard to edit.

By edit, do we mean just simple clipping or adding effects? I really just want to clip and maybe ad some graphics.

Can you advise. My take is that I am better off with miniDV as it affords the most flexibility. Any particular camera models?

What do you think? Thank you in advance for your time.

Inactive

Hi Sportsman,

The hard drive camcorders will surely allow you to shoot longer games without stopping. This advantage shows when, if you use a DV camcorder with a bottom-loading tape carriage, you have to take your tripod plate off your camcorder to swap tapes.

MPEG-2 compressed video found in many new camcorders is not harder to edit, in our opinion, but it is a bit different. The main difference is that it’s not "frame accurate", the video frames rely on surrounding frames to form the picture. So, showing off the athletes moves in a frame-by-frame slow-mo recap will be more difficult than using DV video. MPEG-2 also requires more from your computer when you edit and add effects.

-Videomaker staff

Inactive

Thanks Hank and chicoab3! I learn more everytime I read the various topics, and I appreciate your posts in reply to my question.

I spoke with a neighbor of mine who is in the video/media production business, and he indicates that I am better off using a miniDV format due to compression issues and having to re-render and potential software issues, etc. So, I guess I will stick with the industry standard and keep it simple by going with a solid miniDV camera.

Take care and thanks again for your time.

David

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap