Need Some Serious Help. PLEASE Look.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking for a video camera and I have been forever. But I want something that is HD and is also compatible with mics and stuff like that. I have been looking on bhphotovideo.com but I can’t figure out if they are compatible with stuff or not. I don’t want to spend a ton of money and I am trying to find one before Christmas. Please help!

-Thanks

Participant

Compatible with what?. My recommendation is that you buy a camera with XLR mic connectors, use the internal mic now and buy your external mics later when you know the camera better.

Participant

Try doing some research here: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ – They have beend a good starting point for many. Also look around on the Videomaker forums and website for other info.

Participant

Based on your post, I think you are interested but have a steep learning curve ahead of you! As you don’t “have a ton of money” and only a few days to Christmas, your deadline, may I suggest the following:

1) Canon HV40. It will shoot both HD and SD, won’t cost you an arm and a leg, and it will take external microphones when you are ready for that.
      2) Buy The Little Digital Video Book – this will make your learning curve easier and actually enjoyable.

Heidi

Participant

Thanks for the help guys. What I mean by compatible with mics, is basically I want to go interview people on the streets and I want a mic that will work with the video camera I get. I don’t know how these things work because I have only had a crappy little camera. But my parents know I want to get into film when I graduate so this is going to be my christmas present. I am going to need a good one for college, but by not a ton I mean like 3 grand.

Participant

Camera, microphones, and editing software will cost you quite a bit more than $3k.

As to microphones, you can buy very good consumer-level wireless microphones ideal for the kind of interviews you mentioned from Azden.

You don’t mention what type of computer you have. If PC, i would recommend Adobe Premiere Elements, for the Apple Final Cut Express. Both of these will allow you later to move up to their professional equivalents – although they allow you to produce really professional videos in their own right

Heidi

Participant

I already have an editting software I use. But the main thing I am looking for is an HD camera that is will work with a cordless mic. So is that one you mentioned Heidi compatible with the cordless mics I am looking for?

Participant

Yes, the Canon HV40 will accept wireless microphones. I have been using these with success:
      http://www.azdencorp.com/new/home.php?cat=35

You could also use the more expensive Sennheiser UHF wireleaa mic system if you budget allows.

Heidi

Participant

Alright. So I would just have to plus that box thing into the video camera and it would work? I’m sorry for all the questions, I don’t want to waste money or anything and get something I don’t want.

Oh, and also. You know how on TV shows they have those little mics that clip onto your shirt and stuff? Well is that something completely different I will need to get or can I still use the mic you showed me and just buy the ones that clip on your shirt?

Participant

The little mic you refer to is a lavalier mic, or simply called a lav mic. They can either be wired or wireless. The Azden system I recommended is wireless. The person being interviewed has box (the transmitter) with the lav mic attached appropriately to his/her shirt. Then the second box (the receiver) is mounted on top of your camera and its output is plugged into the microphone jack on the camera.
      This video describes the system and shows how to use it with the Canon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlhDGrw_eA)

Heidi

Participant

Thanks again Heidi. My parents just gave me a budget of around $1000 for a camera and mic. So I don’t know if that gives you any other suggestions for a camera I should get. But I am looking at reviews and it said there is a built in light. Im guessing that just means I can turn it on when its dark and it will light a small area up?

Inactive

It does have a small LED light, but it is not that great. It wont light more than 2 ft, and it makes your subject have a blueish white color. But in situations that there is almost no light, it is a life saver. For example, i was on Disney World once at night, and the camera would set the shutter speed really high, and the video would have the “slo-mo” feel to it. When i turned the little light on, the overall quality of the video increased a LOT! But if you want something that is 100% reliable, i would go with a external light (The HV40 has a hotshoe place thing, where you can attachaccessoriesto).

Hope this helped! =D

Participant

OK…Please take this as constructive advice. DON’T BUY ANYTHING right now! This forum is a very patient and helpful group, but the questions that you ask demonstrate that there are some fundamentals that you need. If you have been looking for a HD camcorder for a while, you have got to get some basics down.

I am surprised that people were willing to even bother with such vague and general question(s). Notice that in order to get the right help, you must be as specific as possible. “I want something HD…compatible with mics & stuff…don’t want to spend a ton of money…” Come on, you can do better than that!

Try this:

I am a 17 year old, have been into video for ___years.? I have been using a_______ camcorder (minidv tapes/SD card/Hardrive) and edit on my (or my schools) budget/power PC/mac desktop/laptop with premiere element6/pinnacle/imovie2008/moviemaker etc.

I typically shoot ________ (my freinds for youtube/class projects/ short films/ football games/ceremonies/short films/interviews of classmates _______for 15 mins to 1 hour in length.

I want to go to film school next fall at ___________ and my parents have given me a $1000 budget for a camcorder and accessories. I need one with an external mic jack so I can get good audio for street interviews for ____________. I am interested in a wireless mic setup as well.

I want to make ________ (regular dvds/blue ray/web video/iphone) videos primarily for________ (myself/family archives/school year book/commercials/cable access channel/portfolio for film school or job)

I’ve looked at /heard about these (3) camcorders, but I don’t know which best fits my needs/budget to ____________. -what you want to do 70% of the time-

Can you help?

Based on what we know, I would say:

1. For a tape based HD camcorder the HV40 may even be over kill it just depends on what you want to be doing. I would definitely buy from a SamsClub or Costco because the have a generous return policy and no restocking. They have a decent selection of memory card and hard drive based camcorders as well. These however use the AVCDV format with has it pros & cons based on you software/computer.

2. As for the external mic I have used beechtec adapter ($120) and shure wireless lavaliere mics $250.

3. I would definitely spend $100 on a good tripod/head. If you are outside, get a uv filter to cut the glare.

4, Finally, remember LIGHTING is KING! Spend $100 on a basic light set up(Ritz) or get a camcorder with proven low light quality. ( the HV30 was not as good as I hoped)

5. Find out about the films school(s) you want to attend. What they use, what they suggest for their incoming students. Volunteer to help out you public tv station, church, or non-profit for training with their equipment.

As these good folks will tell you, the camcorder is just 1st base.

Just remember, like the music business, film and video is a business. Its not all art and creativity. Its about communication, etiquette, technical language & precision, but mostly the right attitude.

Try to present questions (yourself) in the most professional manner as you can at all times with people that’s not your family/friends.

As for the parents, let them know that you don’t want to waste their money by rushing out and getting anything under $1000. Matter of fact, Jan-March has great deals on camcorders, and that also would give you more time to make a better decision. (I’m a parent, so trust me, they will really appreciate that!) Also consider that 2-3 month subscription to Lynda.com may get you started on the right foot, and you will know the right questions to ask.

Sorry if I appear to have been hard on you. Just think of it as a professional courtesy to an up and coming filmmaker.

Best of luck.

Participant

Alright Roddoc. I took that as constructive advice. I am 18 and I got into videos about a year and a half ago when I started Youtube. It has interested me ever since so I have decided to go to college for this hopefully to work with movies (or even make my own) when I graduate. For now I am just making Youtube videos and I am looking for something that can shoot HD but is also compatible with cordless mics so I can do street interviews and the little mics that attach to your shirt (hope you know what I’m talking about.) My parents are wanting me to find a camera that I would be able to use for college as well. They have given me a $1000 budget for a camera and mic system. I would take your advice and wait Roddoc, but there is a reason I need it soon. I guess it doesn’t have to be before Christmas, but it needs to be bought before the new year. Thanks for the help.

Participant

I agonized over what camera to purchase for months. (and years) I only had “one chance”, and if I bought the wrong one, I was screwed, because the chances of me getting another one would be slim to none. So it had to be the right one the first time. And I think I made a fairly good choice.

I like Panasonic, and they usually get pretty good reviews. Except by some people who think some specific brand is “the only one”. (Sony, Canon, JVC, whatever) Beware of people who are irrational brand-ists or model-ists in the fanatic religion sense. (like the Mac vs. PC people) I looked at “all of them”, and read reviews, and comparisons, and complaints for purchasers and owners, etc….

I originally wanted to get a Pana GS-400, but I never got the money together. And then HD was the next new big thing. So I finally settled on an HSC-HS100. It’s supposed to be one of the best models for the price. If I had more money, I would have gotten something more prosumer-like. Ideally, something in excess of at least $2,000.

So I got my Pana for about $500 at Amazon.com, original SRP $1,200, sometime in January, because they were coming out with the HS300 in a couple of months, which is also a good camera, but they took a couple of the features away that I wanted, plus it would cost in excess of $1,000, which was out of my price range. And I didn’t want to wait.

I liked that mine had a built-in 60GB hard drive and didn’t use tapes, and also would accept 16 and 32 GB SD/HC cards (fast speed), which is what I use, because the upload time to my computer is nearly immediate, as opposed to disk or tape. That was a big plus for me.

It also uses AVC-HD, which I think is a good format, even though it is still relatively new, and has some issues, but many or most of the editing programs will use that native format now. So it will (probably) become increasingly more popular and standard. It uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format.

The HS100 also has a ring at the front of the camera that can be used selectively for focus, zoom, and a few other things. That was very important feature to me, even though it was only one selected feature at a time, but that’s usually all you would ever need anyway. Most (all other?) lower cost cameras do not offer that. They are all switches and buttons and? levers and menu items, etc.

It also shoots in 1920×1080 in 60i and 24p (“film”), which was important, in several Mbps bit rates up to 17 Mbps, which is pretty good.

It uses CMOS instead of 3CCD, which does potentially have some issues (potential gelling and blur), but I have read that it isn’t really a problem. And it is supposed to be one of the better low light cameras around. I haven’t been able to use it much, unfortunately, and have just started learning with hands-on experience, so I can’t tell you that it is absolutely “okay”.

I am doing small indie films and documentaries. And maybe larger films. We’ll see. And we’ll see if this camera will work for everything I need it to.

You do need a nice computer, though. The AVCHD needs at least a dual-core computer, and preferably a quad-core. And a very nice and fast one, at that. So that killed me, because I can’t afford a new computer, and the one I got about 5 years ago, which was top of the line then, and would have worked great for SD, but it is old and slow now. I’m hoping I can get a faster computer in a couple of months. That has been partly why I haven’t used my camera much, because my computer is not up to editing stuff in that format.

Here is my current filmmaking equipment list. I still need to get some lights. I plan on getting a small ~$500 lighting kit soon. I plan on making some DIY equipment, like a steady cam, a jib arm, a dolly, lighting, etc., but I still haven’t. I would also like to get a decent radio mic setup. And a hard-wired lavaliere mic, or two. And you really do need a wide angle lens, which is about $150 for the official model Pana version, which I hope to purchase soon, too.

Panasonic HDC-HS100 (P/PC) — SD/HDD Hybrid — 1920 x 1080 — 60GB HD — AVHCD —
      a few 16GB SDHD Class 6 High Speed memory cards and several batteries.
      17 Mbps & 13 Mbps 1920 x 1080 / 60i and 1920 x 1080 / 24p
      9 Mbps 1920 x 1080 / 60i and 6 Mbps 1440 x 1080 / 60i
      (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)

AT897 Audio Technica Line and Gradient Condenser Microphone (Shotgun Mic) Battery or Phantom Power, XLR connector (~$120)

8 ft Fish Pole 4-section extensible Boom Pole (~$40)

Hosa MIT-156 Line-matching transformer XLR(F) to Stereo 3.5mm / 1/8″ converter

10 ft. / 3 m XLRM-XLRF Audio Technica premium cable

ATH-T44 Dynamic Stereo Headphones — 3mm / 1/8″ or 1/4″ / 6.3 mm connector/adapter (~$50)

Fancier FT-6717 Semi-Heavy Duty aluminum “Professional Video Tripod”
      Fluid head; Built-in bubble level; Max. Load capacity: 8kg (~$100)

I found a good deal at Amazon, where if you bought a bag for the camera, you also got a battery, which was cheaper than if you bought a battery alone. So I bought 3 bags and got 3 batteries and some extra bags to carry batteries and cables and such.

You have to get creative for indie filmmaking, and take time to build up your equipment, because you never have enough. And, in the spirit of indie, as well as filmmaking in general, which is a collaborative art form, I have started a local group and have met people who have stuff I don’t, and vice versa, like lights, etc., and we have started working on projects together. I suggest everyone do that. We all have something to offer and we all have much to learn.

But, most importantly, whatever camera or equipment you have, get out there and make films! I have failed in that myself, and am taking steps to correct that.

Participant

Alright, thanks BeeDee. I think I just have one more question. With the Canon HV40, do I just connect it to my computer with a USB cord? I know it records on those mini dvd things, but I’m not sure how it would get on the computer.

Inactive

Actually, the Canon HV40 records on TAPE, not on mini-dvds. With the HV40, you will just connect the camera to the computer using aFire Wirecable (IEEE 1394). Then, you just go to your NLE and capture the footage.

Participant

Oh, so what exactly is the point of having tape when I use a wire to connect it to the computer? And what do you mean NLE to capture the footage? I’m sorry I such at this stuff.

Participant

Thanks for giving me (the forum) some background. What do you use to edit your videos for youtube right now? Pinnacle, imovie, adobe premeire, sony vegas? btw, those are examples of NLE. (non-linear editors)

ONE OF THE BEST SITES FOR NOVICE VIDEOGRAPHERS STARTING FROM SCRATCH IS http://WWW.VIDEOGUYS.COM. The also have eductional student pricing. Don’t call them or post to their forums (you will get ignored) until you have thoroughly read these articles.

Go to “guides” tab on the right hand side.

How to Articles
      Everything you Need to Know to get Started in Video Editing
      Digital Filmmaking Guide from the Videoguys
      Videoguys’ System Recommendations for Video Editing
      What is the Difference Between Consumer Video Editing Software and ‘Real’ NLEs
      (Non Linear Editing)?

Videoguy’s FAQ
      Videoguys Guide to Understanding HD Formats
      Videoguys NLE Video Storage FAQ
      Videoguys’ Desk Top Video Glossary

* Although they say feel free to call, they are very busy when you call
      and they are not going to do alot of hand holding if if don’t know what
      you want or basic concepts, so READ these articles before you make
      another post!

I know its a lot of reading, but if you aren’t willing to commit to 2-4 hours worth of reading, then you WILL be very frustrated later on.

I would then suggest that you just need to go to bestbuy and let them tell you anything and they can pick the camera for you.

Now to TRY to answer you questions:

The point of having tape “…when I use a wire to connect it to the computer?”

Forgive me if I am over simplifying this.

All camcorders have a MEDIA that they record to. minidv tape, SD cards, internal hard drive =STORAGE

Having one hour of storage is one thing, but taking that hour of video and making it a “watchable” video after you take out all of the unimportant parts (and mistakes), putting titles (words, name of the movie, credits, etc.), transitions ( how you go from one scene/frame to another), adding music/photos to it – all of that is what the NLE does.

2. You need a firewire cable to connect your camcorder to your computer/NLE program. So when that tape/ sd card/ hard drive fills up (and it WILL), you can just get another tape or save it to the computer’s hard drive (in the NLE program) and then edit it, make a dvd, or save it to another (external) drive, so you can work on your next project.

BeeDee is right on the money when he talks about having a fast computer for AVCHD. Also there really isn’t a point to having a HD camcorder unless those who are watching it have an HDTV. Are you planning on making blue ray dvds?

AGAIN, even though you do youtube movies, right now you need something SIMPLE, easy to work with.

Also, do you know anyone who has dropped an ipod (with the hard drive)? Very delicate. One good bump with those hard drive camcorders while its recording and you are screwed. Not sure about SD card camocorders.

I wish you could get a mac book($800) with ilife (imovie), because that would give you everything you need in one package at a reasonable cost and would solve that steep learning curve for now with your NLE work.

I maybe wrong, but I think you are trying to somehow continue doing youtube for personal use and as a prep to film school. And its going to be an exercise in frustration, because the suggestions from the people in this forum may think you have more knowledge/experience than you do.

Also, video for youtube/web is different techincally than for other things. That why I asked what will you be doing with that camera MOST of the time.

It reminds me of students that get accepted into medical or law school and want to prepare during the summer and we tell them to just enjoy their summer, because they are going to teach you from the ground up, and mostly likely you WILL have to UNLEARN some things!

AGAIN, talk to the schools that you are interested in. Most of them have student representatives that will be happy talk to you as well.

AGAIN, the kind of computer you have makes a BIG difference especially with HD & AVCHD.

This is what I would do.

If money was burning a hole in my pocket, I would get the HV40 (tape based) use it in SD mode, or a $300-400 good SD (non-HD) camcorder with an external mic input. Check out this and call them. http://www.showcaseinc.com They are in Atlanta, and if you are lucky they may give you a few minutes to help you decide

(A) SD camcorders with best band for the buck picture quality & have an external mic,

(B)if you really nead HD and

(C)what media (tape /sd/ hard drive) would be best for youtube and your computer(?).

1. A shure hand held mic ($50) and connect it to the camcorder with a 1/8 inch cable so just hold the damn mic for yourself and the interviewee like they do on those live tv news reports. Especially if it is just you doing everything.

2. Do the interviews in well lit places, so you don’t have to lug around lights as well. OR use some of that camcorder money for 2-3 led lights on the camcorder ($100-200). If not, go to home depot and get 2 work lights/stands, but now now you need a high output electric outlet and some heavy duty extension cords.

3. A $100 camcorder (not camera) tripod.

4. A spare battery, if my interviews are over 30 mimutes otherwise just make sure you charge it before hand. ( $60-120)

5. At least a 10X OPTICAL zoom. Forget about digital zoom.

6. TEST at least 3 camcorders at the store just the way you will be using it. I.E. Get the mic, plug it in, bring your own your own SD card, shoot it, take it home, see if it works on youtube.

7. A good consumer NLE imovie(mac), or sony vegas (pc).

Bottom Line

I would spend my money a mac mini or macbook (imovie 09) , and a GOOD Sandard Def. (not HD) camcorder until I got into film school. A wired Shure mic, (2) home depot work lights (or basic studio lights) , plenty of duct tape, 1-2 months of Lynda.com that will take you step by step with editing.

This way you can spend your time being creative with your content instead of struggle with alot of equipment issues.

Remember “Content is King & the Right Attitude is Everything”

Cheers

Participant

Wow roddoc. Thanks a lot. I actually just got a new toshiba and I do use sony vegas to edit my videos. I may consider the SD camera for now, but my parents want to buy one camera, good enough for college use that way they don’t have to buy a decent one now, and then another one in a year when I get to college. Am I making any sense? Oh, and why plenty of duct tape?

Participant

Yes I think I know what your parents are thinking. You will often hear, ” Buy the best or most expensive _______ (camera/mic/computer, etc.) that you can afford”. However, in technology, there are exceptions because a year could mean a lot in terms of price and features. I bought the Canon HV30 last year, as a second camcorder but really should have waited because I didn’t really take into consideration the complexities of multi camera editing. Good fundamentals & experience beats the “latest and greatest” every time.

Its like in photography, I own a 3 year old canon xt and I can hold my own with the $2000 camera owners & I also know “real” photographers that can blow me out the water with $100 point and shoot camera because they know their lighting and composition and F stops. Just remember that most of us “prosumers”, buy MORE camera (and camcorders) than we have time to learn.

Just be sure to talk to someone (at the school) that’s doing what you will be doing, that way you are seeing things apples to apples. -broken record-

Oh yeah, the duct tape. We record weddings and church events. I’ve learn the hard way to SECURE your stuff! I can’t count the number of times people get snagged on cords or tripods or stands holding white hot 1000 watt lights only to be saved from injury (or me from law suits) by a 6 inch piece of $4 duct tape.

Also, if something yanks the cord to your camera & it breaks the connector at the camcorder or at the adapter end, then you are screwed. Don’t let experience be your teacher (like it was for me).

Just looked at my last post. Hey guys, sorry about the book. Didn’t mean to hog the thread.

Thats just TMI! Cheers

Participant

If you decide to buy new, DO NOT buy from an online dealer until you check them out on ‘resellerratings.com’. There’s an awful lot of online scam stores out there that offer lower-than-everyone else prices, then make you pay extra for everything else in the box.

Here’s the places that I trust for my online purchases:

B&H Photo
      Videoguys
      Amazon (Direct, not through a member store)

In person:

Best Buy
      Microcenter
      Fry’s – ONLY if you know exactly what you want. They prefer to hire minimum-wage morons, so don’t expect a lot of technical help.

From what I’ve read and understand about you, here’s my suggestion… Don’t rush, but for some reason the date seems to be pushing you. After Christmas, BestBuy, Frys and other stores will have “clearance” sales that may knock another $50-100 off the price.

DV is OK for now. I don’t know why you want HD unless “someone” told you it’s the best for YouTube. It is, but marginally. If YouTube is your primary delivery for your productions, or even if DVD’s are in your plan, HD is not a high requirement. Many, many great YouTube productions are done in DV or less. (Cellphones). I have two “prosumer” HDV cameras and rarely shoot in HDV. My deliverables are on SD-DVD and the difference from shooting in HDV and editing down to DV for DVD is not great enough to justify the extra editing headaches. (However, DV shot on an HDV camera is superior in quality to DV shot on a DV camera).

For professional use, I emphasize the need for professional wireless microphones. However, you are dealing with one microphone and one camera – and very short range (I.E. the interview). A cheap consumer wireless mic will likely serve you well. Even the $80 Radio Shack (Model 2179605). Others to look at:

Azden WMS-PRO Wireless Microphone System
      Sony WCS999 Wireless Camcorder Microphone

Any camcorder with an external microphone input will work with these consumer-level wireless microphones.

Last – anything you buy today will be insufficient in three years. Live with it.

Also, don’t forget resellerratings.com can save your butt.

Participant

Once again, thanks a lot. I have been reading these articles on videoguys.com you told me about and I am starting to understand things a little better. One thing I keep reading is that they say go to the store and try the video cameras out. The only thing is, I live out in the middle of no where and the closest best buy and stuff like that is an hour and a half away. So its not that easy. So do you guys have any final suggestions on what to get? I have seen a lot of people saying canon hv30/40 but don’t know if this would be right. Also, since im not skilled, do these things have like auto focus or anything? Because I think that may be something I need. 😛

Participant

FORGET about the brand & model for now! You HAVE to decide the MEDIA you want to use. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to tape vs. sd card vs. hard drive camcorders. You are dead in the water until you make that decision. How do you make that decision? Your personality and how you like to work.

Me, I do a lot of filming, I change settings and end up with hours of video, but when I’m done, I don’t want to worry about transferring video to my computer because the camera’s hard drive is almost full and I have another project the next day.

When you get old like me, convienience, peace of mind and security are important. To me, tape is more convenient because I can get (10) one hour Sony minidv tapes from Costco for less that $20. As far as security, the thing is not if your computer’s hard drive fails, it when.

So after importing 4 hours of video off my SD cards or hard drive camcorder, wiping the card or hard drive (because I have another shoot tomorrow). and my computer hard drive crashes or gets a virus. I am up the creek. If I use tape, the worst thing that would happen is that I have to import it again to another computer.

Thats just me. Tape IS on its way out, but consumer level ADCHDcamcorders have too many cons for me at this time. (I believe videoguys.com have addressed this)

Also, I can record the final project on a tape and edit that tape later if need be. Not the case, if your final project is on a dvd. If its not a big money project, I will use the tape again. Otherwise I can keep the video for years if I store them properly.

BTW, TRY not to use you computer for anything but editing. Don’t put a hundred programs, bittorent, or do “questionable” web surfing with your editing computer. When money (or your career) is involved, its different from the “typical” youtube videographer who doesn’t have anything to lose.

Alright…I’m not fussing, BUT…DON’T ask for help with things a simple google search can answer!

Google “HV40, autofocus” and you have answered your own question. That’s just forum ediquette & it tells the forum that you appreciate the time and advice of others that just want to help. ok.

Cheers

Participant

Sorry about that Roddoc. I do really appreciate all the help youre giving me though. I think I am leaning more towards tape so I guess that makes my decision. Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful.

Participant

Oh, about trying out camcorders. Have you heard the expresion ” pay now or pay later”? You will never be sure that you have the right camcorder until you use it. No amount of reviews or recommendations will change that. I would take a day, drive to the city with the most store and try them out.

If that is not possible, AFTER, you decide which media you will be using, get the top 4-5 of that type of camcorder from a google search of “top consumer hard drive camcorders” or “top minidv HD camcorders”. or “best consumer HD camcorders” It will give you sites like camcorderinfo.com, and top tens.

You will see certain camcorders in that list over and over. Start form there. Go to amazon.com and read the reviews for those camcorders. Narrow it down to the last 2. Still can’t decide?

Assign camcorder A to your index finger on your right hand & camcorder B the index finger on your left hand. Slap them down hard on your desk at the same time. The finger that tingles the longest is the one! :>)

Participant

Well grasshopper, let us know what you decided on. Trust me, if you read this thread again (not just my stuff), follow the advice, you will be well ahead of the curve. It was my pleasure to try to direct you from my perspective. I am not best videographer out there, but most of us have been where you are trying to go. Learn everything you can and you will find your way. Cheers

Participant

I am seeing a lot of Canon Vixia HF S’s. And Canon Vixia HV30’s. Earlier I was thinking about the HV40, but have yet to see one on any list. Is this because its a new product or something and people have yet to review it or is it just worse? I have found videos reviewing the hv30 but not hv40 so Im just curious.

But Roddoc, I think I am going to have to go with your idea with the stickers and smacking them down. Because I am stumped and cant decide on the Canon HF S10 or Canon HV40.

Participant

Just thought I would inform all of you that helped me. I purchased the Canon Vixia HV40. Was going to do the Canon Vixia HF S10 but it was out of my price range. Thanks for all the help you guys/girls gave me and Merry Christmas.

Participant

Hey man, that was tongue in cheek, but it works for me. Hope I didn’t run off other contributors with my opinions & long-windedness.

Between the(S10) speed to download/capture your video verses the (HV40)”tape it-pop in another tape and keep taping, but still have to capture the same amount of time as you taped, i.e. 1 hour tape with 1 hour to capture that tape into the computer, just go for it.

HV40 is still pretty new, but you should have some decent reviews to guide you.

My last advice. Start shooting as soon as you get your camera, use it constantly so you won’t find any surprises or let downs with any part of your entire production AFTER the return period. If they hit you with a restocking fee, you may have to eat it, but that’s better than having a camera that doesn’t fit your needs 100% of the time.

Cheers

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap