Need Some Opinions… GL1/GL2 or HV30

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

I have a business, in which I make advertisement videos and/or information videos aboutfor businesses.

I’m really just getting started, getting all of my equipment together…but I do have a bit of experience in the area.

I’m looking at purchasing a higher quality camcorder, than what I have been using.

I have been looking at either the GL1/GL2 or the HV30. I know that I want a MiniDV format camcorder.

So could I get some opinions on this? What would you suggest? What are some problems associated with the problems?

Thanks In Advance!

CeedoSkip of Ceedo-Skip Studios, LLC

http://www.ceedoskip.com

Participant

I would suggest the GL2 over the HV30, but if you can get your hands on a Sony PD170, that’s even better.

Participant

I would recomend a Gl2. My dad has an hv30 which I love but i like the Gl2 because of the manual controls. Im not sure if it is just me but i love having manual focus, but then again the picture quality on the hv30 is great and since i dont own a gl2 im not quite sure how good the gl2 compares to the hv30 as far as picture quality, but i have heard many people say its really good.

GL2 – standard def (SD), 3-CCD, great lens, MiniDV tape; HV30 – high def (HDV, actually), 1-chip, GREAT optics, MiniDV tape. And, as CameraMan above notes, GL2 has more easy to access manual control possibilities, including manual audio. But, for the bucks, I was REAL close to going with the HV30 at $600 or less, until Panasonic and JVC released or announced their AVCHD products using SD/SDHC cards.

Inactive

Yea I really torn, the price on the HV30 was to bad for all of the features that it has.

My concern was that, with HDV…that is going to be more hard drive space and need special software to handle it.

Now…could I clarify…

Looking on ebay the price for a GL1 is about $800 and the GL2 is about $1200…is the GL2 that much different than the GL1? Basically is it worth the extra buck to get the new model?

Thanks for help all…I really appreciate it.

Participant

No, HDV doesn’t take up more hard drive space than DV. They are both recorded at approx. 25Mbps, which is about 13GB per hour. If you’re recording to tape, HDV records crappier audio. The standard is 16-bit 48KHz, but HDV records 12-bit 32KHz. Not cool. HDV will tax your CPU more though since it’s a GOP codec. That’s not cool either.

I wouldn’t buy off ebay either. I’d look on Craig’s List so that you can meet with the seller and look at the camera in person.

Oh Yeah, you’ll want a GL2 for sure, for sure – the 1 is too long in the tooth and there are some serious improvements engineering-wise between the two. Now, don’t ask me to get technical on you about the differences, you’d be better off researching that by going to Google and looking up Canon GL1 specs, Canon GL2 specs.

There are good buys and safe purchases via eBay, but the risk is certainly greather IMHO, and apparently Rob’s. Back when I purchased a GL1, before moving up to the GL2 as a third camera to work with my XL1 Canons, I bought it used from a fellow video producer who offered it on the boards at one or more of the various video forums. Still can be tricky, and the trust has to move both directions, but sometimes there are people out there who are above and beyond acceptable integrity levels.

I would NOT hesitate to scrape up the additional $400 to get the GL2 over the GL1, and $1,200 is a GREAT price for a used 2.

Inactive

okay…great!! I shall start searching ebay and what not for a GL2.

Thank y’all for your help

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap