Need some help, have issues with H2 Zoom and Camera vibration from base

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Need some help, have issues with H2 Zoom and Camera vibration from base

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

A band had hired me to film them performing at a bar. I used my cannon XH-1As for close ups and my HF-M41 for wide. I also had my H2 Zoom Audio recorder connected directly to the Mixer. But I ran into problems on post production lol…

For one the Bass drum was causing my whole Tripod to vibrate thus parts of the video go fuzzy whenever the bass drum hits… Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? I had a $100 tripod raised up to 72 inches which I had to raise all the way up to look over the crowd. I never had this happen to me before. Its supper annoying and very head ache causing…

My second problem is the the H2 Zoom audio recording, that I had connected to the mixer’s rec out connection using an RCA cable, parts of it sound distorted to me… I even had the damn thing set on “Limited 1 (general) which is suppose to prevent this. Anyways is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? I don’t have a lot of control over the soundengineer whos on the mixer. He’s pretty much going to make it as loud as possible for everyone.Especiallythe main voice.

I am also going to post 2 videos. One with the audio from the Camera and the other with the audio from the H2 Zoom. Can you guys tell me which audio is better? IE which audio I shoulddeliverto my client…

Here’s the video with the Audio from the H2 Zoom:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp73HPHOk-E

Here’s the video using the Camera Mic Audio.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzI6cF-jBSM&feature=youtu.be

Iappreciateyour help

Participant

budguy 68, a) use h2 audio, b) use camera audio, c)fix a) or fix b). I would suggest c). Two ways to go: 1) try to get rid of the distortion ( h2 audio)in the singer’s voice by using some audio software or 2) bump up the strength of the audio (in camera audio). 1) If you let us know what audio software you are using, perhaps someone familiar with that software can give you specific instructions. 2) You might try copying your audio track and pasting the copy on another audio track below the original, if your nle software allows that or opening a copy of the audio track in your audio software and boosting it there and then bring it back to your nle. As far as using the H2 in a similar situation, others here have posted suggestions about this. They suggest not hooking the H2 directly to the sound man’s setup. They placed their H2 in the’sweetspot’ in front of the speakers. I’m not sure how you determine this spot but I guess monitoring with headphones while the band is warming up. I have never had my videocamera show this type of vibration with the bass. The only thing I can suggest is to keep away from the force of the speakers if possible, experimenting while the band is warming up. I know being a one-man-show while shooting video is tough but if you can move from one cam to the other using one to catch audience reactions while the music is playing or sert up one cam to catch the audience from the front. This would give you some b-roll to add in to cover when something like the bass vibration occurs. Keep shooting.

Inactive

Thanks, Iappreciatedyour help. I use sound forge for audio software. I don’t really have a lot ofexperiencewith it. I normalize the sound and bought it down 2DB.

I had the Mic ATT ON on the camera to keep it from peaking.

Yeah some of this stuff can be verydiscouragingbut I will keep on keeping on lol.

Participant

Quote”

My second problem is the the H2 Zoom audio recording, that I had connected to the mixer’s rec out connection using an RCA cable, parts of it sound distorted to me… I even had the damn thing set on “Limited 1 (general) which is suppose to prevent this. Anyways is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? I don’t have a lot of control over the soundengineer whos on the mixer. He’s pretty much going to make it as loud as possible for everyone.Especiallythe main voice.”

Without knowing what the mixer was, or what outputs you used to take the signal from it,the problem is likely to be that the mixer was outputting a +4 pro level signal, and you are trying to record to a -10 level recorder. It will overload the recorder’s inputs.

To avoid this, try and find some -10 line outputs from the mixer. Aux sends, (if there are any spares) may be ok,or it may have a monitor output that sends a lower level signal. Headphone/ control room outs are also a possbility. If there aren’t any you will need to find some way of padding the signal.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap