Need some assistance building for editing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have surfed the web high and low for answers on upgrading and building a new computer. It seems that 99% of what I run across is for game based PCs.I simply want a PC for general home use and web surfing, but with emphasis on video editing, photo & video storage & rendering. My budget is $500-$1200. The editing I’ll be doing is transferring old VHS to DVD, editing home movies from my DVC & also some ameteur FX, nothing fancy. From what Ive gathered reading around I need an Intel quad core CPU, about 4gb of RAM etc. Could someone give me a list of what I need for a PC that Ive described. I’ll be using a two monitor set-up, a Super-VHS VCR to import VHS, a DVC for current home videos & I will use probably a 200gb OS HDD & a second 500GB storage HDD. I thought it would be more appropriate to ask here thatn on a typical forum because folks tend to push you in the direction of a gamers rig. Any help would be great. Thanx!

Anonymous
      Inactive

if you are not using your camera as a pass through from the vcr (using firewire IEEE1394), you’ll need an analog to digital converter to ingest the signals from the vhs source and camera. As far as editing or burning, some software utilizes the graphics cards and others utilize the processors. you seem to be headed in the right direction. as far as the converter goes, i would suggest the ADVC110 from canopus (grass valley). It does a fantastic job, keeps audio and video in sync and doesn’t need a power supply if connected via firewire. The next step up from the 110 is the 300 or 330, that one has a time base correcter that helps keep (or tries to) the video signal in older tapes looking good. You are going to be fine with the processor and ram, hard drives. obviously you’ll need a video card capable of dual monitors.I would suggest you get a dedicated sound card and not one that is hardwired to the motherboard.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Im not computer savy enought to know if Im buying too much of a video card. What specs should I look for? I already know the sound card Im getting. I just ned to narrow down a few more parts and make sure I dont buy too much in any one part.

Anonymous
      Inactive

get what you can afford, Nvidia makes nice cards, I would suggest a 256 mb card to make sure you have something for the future when programs are bound to get more memory intensive

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN