Need some advice on DV editing software & Video Capture

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Need some advice on DV editing software & Video Capture

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello All,

My name is Todd I’m working with several students from a local mountain bike team here in Sacramento, CA to make a video/dvd about the mountian biking scene in Northern, CA.

I need to get upto speed on DV editing software programs ASAP. I’m looking for advice on a robust editing program that I can learn and grow into. So far I have a newer Dell computer and a used Cannon GL1. I Think I also need to get some sort of video caputure device and a play back deck. What else do I need to get started?

Any ideas/suggestions and or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd

Participant

Check out the educational/student version of Avid Xpress Pro. It’s the full version of the software, at a special discount for students. $295!!!

http://specialtyvideosupply.com/pages/avid.html

You’ll need a simple FireWire port or card to get the dv footage into your dell from the canon dv cam.

Gary

Inactive

My advice…buy a basic DV capture card and TRY OUT FREE VERSIONS of editing software… Sony Vegas..Ulead…among many others. Windows XP has a very simple program (windows movie maker) included. My personal favorite is Adobe Premiere…lots of support…plugins…tutorials…etc. all over the web. You can find great software deals and instructional videos on Ebay. I’ve used Premiere version 5 and 6 for several years and have been very satisified…mainly because of all of the support on various websites.

Inactive

What kind of team is it?….DH

Inactive

I would not get Xpress Pro. It is very confusing and takes a while to learn. Try the education version of Adobe Premiere pro. (You can download a trail of Premiere Pro from http://www.adobe.com.) I have learned by experience with Avid. It is very frusterating.

gwXtreme

Participant

I wouldn’t point him in the direction of AVID right now. AVID would be a bit too much for someone who is just leaping in. My suggestion is premiere pro.

You don’t really need a playback deck if you have your camera. Playback decks are expensive.

If you want something really simple and cheap, I would go with Pinnacle. I think the lowest you can find the older version is about a hundred dollars.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap