Need recommendation for de-shaker software for Vegas

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Need recommendation for de-shaker software for Vegas

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello.

A friend sent me some video footage that looks like it was shot with a camera strapped to a kangaroo. Does anyone know what software does the best on’de-shaking’ within Vegas?

I was looking at some software called “ProDad Mercalli”, and it looks pretty good. The ‘pro’ version is $120.00. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Alternately, is there any ‘de-shaking’ software (or script) that is compatible with Vegas that isboth reliable, and free?

Thank you,

Norman

Participant

When you correct shaky video digitally, there is always a tradeoff. Digital stabalization creates an imaginary box – your picture is “cropped”. The cropped outline moves in order to folow the video’s stuttering movements and sudden jerks. You will lose resolution. The bad news is that the more motion corrected, the “cropped box” becomes smaller to compensate, causing further loss in picture resolution.

Now getting down to business… The good news is that there is a number of free digital stabalizationsoftware around. Hope this helps:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_en-GBUS309US309&ei=5_gdSuiTGoywNObvpe0F&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Video+Stabilizer+download&spell=1

Participant

Good explanation. Thanks!

I guess they even make a ‘de-shaker’ specifically for Vegas as a free download?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.edmiston/deshaker.htm

I guess my question is, is one de-shaker as good as another? Or is there one that is ‘best’?

Thank you,

Norman

Inactive

I’ve tried a few out. They vary big time…and some modest onesare included with entry level editors these days.I haven’t tried the Vegas one yet…and won’t because I’ve a good tripod now. However, when I didn’t, I used this one for VirtualDub. Reviews are mixed…probably because it pretty complex. Perhaps if you take your timeto understand it, you ‘ll get good results, too. It has many settings including 2 passand really worked well on my footage. You’ll need to zoom in some at the endbecause the edges go crazy as the frames are stacked. It also takes it’s sweet time so you’ll have to be patient.

http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm

Participant

OK, Zoob.

Thanks for the information, and the advice.

I am a little bit plowed under this week, but I will try to check out theNew De-shaker, Virtual Dub and Mercalli maybe next week. Mercalli is supposed to be fast, and easy to use, so maybe it might be worth it?

Norman

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap