Need Outdoor Videoing Tips.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello and thanks for your time.

I’m looking to get a digital video camera soon and will be using it mostly outdoors. There is a family of bobcats I’ve been seeing and I would like to film them. I’ve taken some awsome pictures of them with my 35mm camera and would like to get some video of them too. I plan on being out for many hours at a time and during all types of weather conditions. I live here in Southeastern Georgia, along the coast, and it gets extremely hot here and stays this way for many months. Even during the winter months we’ll have days of blistering heat! Oh, when it gets cold here, believe me, it gets cold! Anyway, I have a few questions for those of you who do alot of filming outdoors.

1.What do you consider the most important things to have along and/or do for taking great outdoor video?

2.Will extreme heat or cold, cause any harm to a video camera? How about tape? What precautions should I take?

3.If any, what types of add-on lenses should I use? Please describe how I’ll benifit from using one.

4.Also, I do alot of target shooting with friends and would like to know if the extremely loud gunshots can damage a camcorder’s microphone?

Again, I do appreciate your time and I’m very grateful for your help and any suggestions you may have. I’m new at this, so I’m all ears!

You Take Care My Friend

Inactive

Here’s some simplfied answers.

1. UV filter for protecting you lenses. Polarized, Warming, ND filters too.

2. Yes to both… avoid long-term direct sunlight, get a camera with a hood on the lense… don’t put in the freezer, Get a lined jacket for it.

3. see “1.” UV=cut harmful rays and protects from dirt. Polarized=deepens sky’s colors and reduces light reflections. Warming=softens skin tones, etc. ND=cuts exposure allowing for manipulation of depth-of-field at high noon :).

4. get a camera with an adjustable mic level and Attenuation if possible.

Focus on Cameras with three CCDs, you’ll just be happier with the color results more. HD is also a great way to go for outdoor shots. Sony has a reasonably priced HD cam that may fit your needs.

Inactive

3) I’ll state the obvious. If you get a telephoto lens you will be able to “get closer” to the bobcats. Of course, the use of a good tripod will be even more necessary.

Inactive

yeah that too…

good call.

If you get a Canon GL. XL. etc… the lenses from Canon’s photography line can be interchanged for use on the Video cameras as well. It opens up some wider ranges for telephoto or wideangle lenses. Particularly for those long shots across the field to the target.

Get a Varizoom monopod if your going to be hiking about a lot. They’re hyper portable and can also be weighted for really simple added stabilization. I think they have adds in Videomaker too.

This month’s special issue buyers guide would be a great pace to start comparing various cameras to your budget and needs. Keep in mind that the magazine lists the max-retail price, so the piece can usually be gotten for much cheaper online.

p.s.
      B&H photo describes and lists all of Canon’s lenses in their catalogue, so order a free copy and peruse it at your leisure.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap