Need Light but Breaker blows, Band Video

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I need advice. I am attempting to redo a live shoot for my nephews band. I amd using two Sony High Def Cams, specificaly, the HVR-Z1U and the HVR-A1U. Both Professional Hight Def Cameras. The problem is that the house lights are really low and accessible AC power is very limited. In fact, occasionally when the band plays there, they kick the breaker. Unfortunatly, there is no power available from a different breaker. I want to use the HVR-Z1U as the lockdown static camera located in the back. It’s about 100 Ft from the stage area. I am doing a wide shot of just the stage with that camera and then shooting up close and personal with the smaller A1U. I do have an on camera light with a switchable 10w or 100w bulb with barndoors. I am thinking that by using it on the handheld and moving around getting different angles, it will look funny from the Z1U. Looking for miracles and magic here. Any ideas?

Inactive

I don’t have much experiance, am only learning.
      I can’t justify the cost of a pro lighting kit myself, but will rent when needed. Here’s what I rigged up for my trainer kit:
      one backpack
      one motorcycle battery
      one cheap ac inverter
      one salvaged mini potlight from an old bathroom tracklight (halogen ligh 50 watts)
      one dimmerswitch.
      one manfrotto bracket.
      since i had that junk lying around the only cost was a spare bulb.

Participant

Houston, you got a problem!

(Had to say that; couldnt help myself.)

Greg, 100 feet away from the stage; you cant get closer than that!!!

And IMO it is absolutely uncool that every wide shot is going to feature you and your wandering camera in front of the band, with camera light possibly blowing out faces, exposure-wise, as recorded by the long distance cam. The band is the star, not the video guy. Your word funny is a serious understatement for this state of affairs.

Cant you put a tripod on stage for the static cam.

And it seems you may have missed numerous posts here about the less than dazzling performance of HiDef in low light.

Try renting some Sony VX 2100s or PD 170s locally. Or send me a roundtrip ticket (reside in DC by the Zoo) and Ill come to your town with a couple of these low light champs. You can put me up or Ill take $300 for expenses and well shoot some remarkable Standard Def images that will kick start your nephews band to fame and fortune. (That last part not guaranteed.) Ive got my motor running

REGARDS TOM 8)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap