need info about capturing stills from HD video

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I breed, train and sell horses. A good action shot is very important for ads. I usually try to capture stills of the right moment from my videos. But, of course, quality is not good when capturing from interlaced DV. Would the captured stills be any better if they were captured from HD video?

Trying to decide whether to buy HD camcorder for this purpose.

Inactive

why spend money on HD, why not get a decent digital SLR and use the digital picture, no issues with interlacing….

Inactive

I have a nice Nikon D50, but you cannot hold and shoot two cameras at once and video is VERY important of the shows. I’d like to be able to take stills from those videos to use.

Inactive

well, you can get better resolution from HDV rather than DV, but that resolution is based on how well your camera is and how you shoot. you would want to make sure that you are video taping in progressive format to eliminate interlacing.

John

Inactive

Thanks, John. I haven’t looked into the HD camcorders much yet. I take it that you can set it to tape in progressive mode?

Inactive

I will use the example of a Canon HV30, which is a great “consumer” camcorder for less than $1000. It has the ability to shoot in 24p for the “film look” as well as shoot in 30p, which is great for posting things on the web.

Still shots from that camera are only measured at around 2.96 megapixels, and will look good. They will not look as good as pictures from a 12 megapixel camera.

To answer your question, yes it is possible to take still photos from video that you have shot, but as mentioned, it is recommended to get it from progressive footage instead of interlaced.

Inactive

Thanks all!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap