Need HELP! with my Sony HDR-FX7 connectivity problem

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Need HELP! with my Sony HDR-FX7 connectivity problem

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Greetings!
      I have a Sony HDR-FX7 HD camera, and I want to capture the HD material I have shot
      into Adobe Premiere CS5.
      The problem is that my HP laptop (Pavilion DV6 core i7) does not have a firewire input! only 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 !
      I’ve even purchased a firewire to USB 2.0 cable but my laptop fails to install the drives.
      Is there any way I can connect my camera to my laptop, so I can capture my material?

I’m in desperate need of help or solution!

Thank you for your time.

Participant

If your laptop has a pci express slot, you can get a Firewire card that will do the trick- if not, is there another machine that you can capture to?

Participant

No unfortunately it doesn’t have any pci express slot. and I don’t have any other machine to capture to.

So basically I’m out of luck?
      Isn’t there some kind of adaptor to convert the firewire to usb 3 or something like that?
      I find it difficult to uderstand how come there are no pc laptops to video edit to
      (exept from mac which has firewire)

πŸ™

Participant

What is the specific model of your laptop?

See page 16 in this manual, though it does say “not all models”  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf

I have an Asus 17″ gaming model that has firewire and edits great.

Participant

No this is not my HP laptop.

so let me make my question even more simple.

Is there any way to connect your firewire HD camera into your PC laptop that has no express card slot nor firewire slot ?
      the laptop has only two usb 3.0 slots and two usb 2.0 slots. nothing else.

thanks

Participant

The short answer is, no.  There are cables that claim to do it, but they are a waste of money (the architecture is radically different between USB and FW).  Maybe something like Blackmagic’s Intensity Shuttle might work- does your camera have HDMI out?  If so, you may be able to do HDMI through the Shuttle to USB 3.0 in… it might be worth talking with them to see.

Participant

yes both my camera and my laptop have HDMI.
      and I also checked online for the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle,
      I think I might have a chance for this thing to work!

Thank you soooo much for the tip Kenkyusha! in the end if this thing works you’re a life saver!

Participant

New PC/laptop or camera seems to be the bad news.  PC is cheaper than your camera.

Participant

thank you cfxcorp for your info,
      but I found the only solution left for me at this point.
      and it’s thanks to Kenkyusha tip for the “Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle”

Participant

Looks like it will work, but do you have to transfer in normal playback speed since it will capture the stream from the HDMI port?  Over time I think you will wish that you put the money toward the purchase of a new PC or notebook.

Have you considered buying a used notebook with a Firewire port and transfer to an attached external hard drive which can be easily connected to your editing PC?

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Blackmagic Intensity will work for what you want and for many other things in the future, so is a good investment. The idea cfxcorp mentioned about looking for a used computer with firewire is an excellent suggestion. Maybe if you ask around your family members or friends you can get one for free.

Participant

Glad to be helpful (though keep in mind that the HDMI on your laptop is out only… it’d be great if there were an HDMI in option!).  I third an older machine for capture, even an older, inexpensive duo or quad core would do the trick.

Participant

Thanks for the ideas and all the help guys.
      But I don’t get it. how can the old used pc laptop with a firewire port is a good investment?
      I mean, why spend money to buy an extra laptop in the first place?
      I find it way cheaper and more convenient just to pay for the Blackmagic.
      plus it’s easier to just carry one laptop and this small adaptor, instead of two laptops.
      Just my opinion, if there is another reason that I didn’t get please feel free to tell me.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Your right Leandro, is more convenient to buy a Blackmagic Intensity. The extra computer will be exclusively for capturing the footage, in your studio or home. In my case I have an old Pentium 4 Windows desktop computer just for capturing footage or for any Windows program (I’m a Mac user). I got it for free from a family member and use it on several occasions. I suggest to first look around if you can find an old computer with firewire for free or really cheap (from friends or family), if not you should get Blackmagic’s Intensity. Everything in the video world is expensive, you need to consider the “guerrilla” solutions before investing your money. If it works, why not use it?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap