Need help with interview microphone

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      johnny
      Participant

Hi, at the moment I have items geared towards podcasting only. I have a mixer and a $100 mic (maybe that’s okay quality, don’t know), can’t remember the name of it. I want to use that for voiceover material.

I’m trying to figure out what kind microphone to get for interviews. The interview style would be like Ken Burns or 60 Minutes where the person is sitting there just speaking naturally. What do I get for that? Do I hang a big mic down to pick up their voice? Sorry. Just have no idea how this works.

Thanks for any help.

Alainstamour
      Participant

Hi Johnny,

Your way works, but you might have more success by using that same mic and placing it below your talent vs above your talent. There tends to be less noise when you point a mic towards a ceiling vs pointing a mic towards the floor. People can drop things on the floor, furniture gets moved, paperwork is shuffled, feet noises. There are exceptions of course like if you happen to be filming below a bowling alley!

I think the most appropriate way to mic someone like that would be to use a lavalier mic. I’m guessing this is the same way 60 Minutes mics their guests.

If you’re planning to connect your mic into your camera with an XLR connector (XLR is the best audio connection) then the price of the lavalier will go up.

Good luck.

Anonymous

I agree that a lav mic is definitely worth considering.

But if you have a fairly decent budget then I can thoroughly recommend the slightly increased cost of a camera mountable receiver that uses batteries. A mains powered receiver is fine if you know you will never want to be completely free of wires but the extra freedom you get from a battery system is very useful in all types of situation. After all, who knows what you’ll want to be filming in the future!?

I use the Sennheiser EW 112-P G2 system and I love it as the batteries last a good while and the audio quality is superb, but I’m sure there are many other models out there that are just as up to the job.

Then again, a good quality wired mic may be everything you need if you’re only interested in the interview type setting where nothing needs to move after it’s been set up!

The BEHRINGER B2 PRO is good for voice recording and I’ve used that on a short stand just out of shot with great results, but again, there are many good mics to choose from. Pretty much depends on your current budget and how future-proof you want to be, I suppose…

Jon.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Production Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN