Need help with finding a 3-mic setup to transmit wirelessly

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Need help with finding a 3-mic setup to transmit wirelessly

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Beachtek makes an adapter with a Line In for XLR inputs and has a mini plug to plug into your camcorder.

Inactive

I’m videotaping a school play using 2 Sony VX2100 cameras (one manned, one unmanned). I have an Azden UHF wireless mic and receiver, but I just found out that there are wanting to place 3 mics on stage so the kids aren’t huddled together. Is there a relatively cheap way to mix 3 wired mics together into a mixer then wirelessly transmit the signal to my on-camera wireless receiver? (I need one of the 2 channels free to pick up background songs from another source that the kids sing to. I saw this Azden Mixer:

http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=93302&cat=3&page=1

and I’m wondering if I can get a cable to go from the mixer’s output to the microphone input on a lavilier transmitter I have. A quick reply would be helpfus as I need this stuff for next wednesday!

Inactive

Cool!

I just so happen to be finishing up my third high school stage production in post right now. In my case I just used my duel channel Azden receiver with mics strategically located up front by the house speakers. When there is a pit orchestra involved I kind of have to aim the mics in between the music and the house speakers which is tricky but you can get it. So far this has worked perfectly and you end up with true stereo sound in the end.

If this stage play youre doing is miced up the same way, I would look into doing that instead. If not then your idea might work but it will be messy.

There are a couple of issues you will have to deal with. The first problem is that this Azden mixer (from your link) is set up for (3) mini plug inputs and (1) stereo mini plug output. That means that the mics you use MIGHT have to be phantom powered AND they have to have mini plug jacks so they mate with the mixer. These are what are referred to as unbalanced mics versus a "balanced" mics which use XLR plugs. A long run of mic cable for unbalanced mics can pose an unwanted RF noise problem where as a balanced mic system doesnt have that problem. You want to use XLR if possible.

Now to get around the compatibility problem you could use XLR mics and cables (up to the mixer) and then plug those into an adapter which accepts XLR plugs and converts them to a mini style plug. This way you would have a good clean sound signal up to that point. Now you have the stereo output from the mixer but it looks like the Azden mixer comes with a special stereo to mono patch cord which is nice since your transmitter only works with a mono signal. You should be able to just plug the stereo end into the mixer and the mono end into the transmitter. You might have to turn the balance control on the mixer all the way to one side or the other to divert the total mic signals to the transmitter. I think the cable that came with the mixer was really intended to take a mono signal from the mixer and split that into 2 channels for your camera (I could be wrong though). Hopefully the transmitter then sends that signal to the receiver on your camera of which you then just plug into your camera. The input on your transmitter should be a standard mini plug too.

For the back ground noise, I would just use your other cameras’s onboard mic and mix it together in post when editing in your NLE.

Mind you that in theory this should work. I have never tried this but I don’t see why it wouldn’t. You will just have to do get adapters and do a lot of sound checks to get everything dialed in on the mixer, your Azden wireless rig and your cameras.

I’m surprised that the place where this play is going on isn’t mic’ed

Good luck!

RAM

Inactive

Thanks, guys. They are mic’ing the play, but I can’t find a way to get my gear plugged into it, and my other normal option (putting my mic right by the speaker) won’t work either because the speaker the kids voices come out of is 20 feet in the air right over the stage! Thanks for the help guys. I think I’ll order the mixer tonite and go visit my local radio shack for the mics and cables.

Inactive

quote=newenglandguy="They are mic’ing the play, but I can’t find a way to get my gear plugged into it, and my other normal option (putting my mic right by the speaker) won’t work either because the speaker the kids voices come out of is 20 feet in the air right over the stage!"

To be honest with you, you don’t really have to put your mics right in front of a speaker. If the speaker is 20 feet up in the air just set up your mic as close as possible and aim it at the speakers. If you have a descent mic (preferable a shotgun style) it should work out pretty nice for you.

RAM

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap