Need HELP, compression issues – wedding video APP CS3

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Need HELP, compression issues – wedding video APP CS3

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

hey guys this is my first post!

i will introduce myself in another post, but right now i just need some help.
      i started my own wedding video company, and my first wedding was about 1 month ago. i shot on a gl2, which looks amazing, and using a RODE mic. i thought these 2 things wouldnt be enough
      but they proved to be reallly good. i have a HUGE problem with one thing though, and honeslty it has been the only problem that i have had in the past few years; COMPRESSION.

im trying to get the best quality, and using adobe premier pro cs3, there are so many files that i can make the video into.
      in order to get the best quality, i decided to split the 2 hour wedding video into 2 dvds. (1 hour per dvd)
      i compressed a AVI file, and numerous other filves (dv, mpeg ect ect) and they all turn out really big (12 gigs) and the quality is no where NEAR what i want it to be. it looks great when i watch the video and make the viewing size small, but i know the couple are going to watch the video on thier big screen tv and it should look good enough for that.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!???? i have looked through faqs, and tutorials but none of them really work for me.
      it doesnt really matter what size the file is, but it will have to be compresed to 4 gigs to be on the DVD.
      thank you guys so much, and i really look forward to being apart of these forums!!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Inactive

Hey boss,

When are you compressing your video? Are you talking about the final rendering, so you can output to DVD?

If so, I’m not using CS3 yet, but I’m sure Premiere Pro 2 is similar. You go to File >> Export >> Adobe Media Encoder. This opens up a window, and up towards the top right, where it says "Format," Pick MPEG2-DVD. In the "Preset" section below that, pick a preset, such as "NTSC 4:3 High 7MB 1 Pass". Personally, at this point I click the "Multiplexer" tab below, select DVD, and I’m ready to export.

At that point, it will export a file that works perfectly for DVD creation software.

Now, If you’re not comfortable with your DVD creation software yet, theres a nifty feature (or at least there is in PP2). Go to File >> Export >> Export to DVD. It will do all the work for you. You just make the menus how you want them, and it will handle rendering and everything.

Inactive

By the way, I get a feeling that you’re only using one camera during weddings, is that correct? Personally, I use three to four, and I sometimes would like more.

However, I suppose that could be another topic for another day.

Participant

YES!!!

On a Roll is correct. You should be using his method. 7mb 1 pass is perfect for 1hour, and you can probably fit about 1hour 15 minutes using this setting and is considered high quality. You should hardly see any quality loss if any.

You should only need two conversions, the initial conversion to AVI(DV) upon capture, and the final export to the MPEG2-DVD.

If you have been exporting (converting the AVI) to just a regular mpeg and than taking that mpeg into a DVD authoring program, it’s just going to convert that mpeg into another mpeg that is DVD compliant. this will always cause quality loss especially if the settings in your program are set to less than 7mb 1 pass. If you follow Roll’s advice…you should be fine.

I however do it a little differently. I prefer to have my DVD authoring program (Encore) make the conversion for two reasons: I have found it to be faster and I’m just more comfortable with a authoring program using it’s own conversions. But that’s just me…. I acomplish this by capturing my video (AVI) I than obviously edit the footage, and instead of exporting to mpeg, I just export another AVI which is DV (microsoft DV AVI to be exact.) I just goto file>export>movie. When exporting a movie as AVI, there is no quality loss as there is in mpeg or other types of conversions. It’s just a compilation of all the AVI rendered files within the timline. Just make sure that in your project settings, you have the rendering set to "maximum bit depth" Also, in the export settings, make sure that the recompress box is not checked.

I than just take my new AVI file and import it into Encore.(I’m sure other applications will accept AVI as well) I make sure the Mpeg2-DVD transcode settings are at 7mb 1 pass and hit transcode. I like Encore because while your video is transcoding, you can still design your menus and actions. When you’re done designing, the video is usually done transcoding and all that’s left is to transcode the menus which doesn’t take long at all. Another feature I like is that once the main video is transcoded, it does’t transcode the video all over again just because you made a simple change to a menu. If you use premiere’s authoring plugin, it will transcode the whole damn thing over and over again even if you have to change one damn letter in the menu…

I believe adobe removed the DVD authoring plugin from CS3. I’m glad they did. As I said the transcoding was brutal and it always skrewed up my menu buttons so most DVD’s (9 out of 10), though good quality, were substandard because the navagation was messed up. If CS3 does have this feature I would try it, but at the first sign of any problem, I would completely abandon the feature and cut your losses. If this feature is available, I would hope they have made some drastic improvements. ON A ROLL, did you have any problems with the DVD menu feature in premiere?

I would recommend Encore for your DVD authoring. It’s a complex program and you may find yourself just staring at it for awhile, but it alows you much control. I’ve found that 8 hours of solid practice will give a good working knowledge of the program. Once you get used to it, it’s your best friend. (that is unless you have a Mac using DVD studio pro.)

Best Regards,

Corey

I hope we helped, because this quality issue is obviously crucial to business.

Participant

thank you guys so much, and i really look forward to being apart of these forums!!!

Yeah…you just have to be patient. This really isn’t the place for quick answers, but if you wait long enough, you’ll usually get a great answer. The more specific people are, the more help they will get. It is also safe to say that you will probably be helping people more than the other way around. Many newbies look first to videomaker for help, after all, that is their business.

Inactive

ON A ROLL, did you have any problems with the DVD menu feature in premiere?

Honestly, the only two or three times I used it, I didn’t have any issues. Since I got Encore when I bought PP2, I mostly just use it, as you can’t really customize much with the crappy menu builder they put in PP2.

I agree, it’s not a great solution, but it’s ridiculously easy for someone who’s new to DVD authoring.

On an unrelated note, I also wound up buying Sony DVD Architect, and it’s got almost as much power as Encore, but it’s a lot simpler on the user-end. It’s a good middle ground, if you want to learn the basics of DVD authoring. But I digress. After al, this is the Adobe forum!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap