Need Help Buying a Computer

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am an amateur video editor. I mainly do slideshows and home video editing for my children and friends. I’ve been using Pinnacle Studio for several years and recently upgraded to version 10. My old computer just can’t handle it. So… I’m in the process of buying a new machine. Can anyone recommend a good computer to me? What do I need? I’ve been looking at dell.com and feel a bit overwhelmed. I’m thinking about buying a dell because they have the 18 month no interest plan.

I’m thinking about the XPS 600 Multimedia Machine at 2,464 US.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_xpsdt_600?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Is this what I need? Or, should I take a look at something else?

Any feedback will be GREATLY appreciated. I’m definitely not a computer guru!

Thanks! Kim

Inactive

Definitely not a computer guru either, but I recommend a home built PC.
    Look for a minimum of 2 GHz / 512 MB RAM / 120 GB HDD / any VGA. I repeat, minimum.

Inactive

Why home built? Is the one I was looking at not good?

Can you get a better deal with a home built machine?

As I said, I’m definitely no guru when it comes to this.

Thanks!

Inactive

I recently cut some footage on a friends $488 E-machine from Wal-Mart. It wasn’t as smooth as my custom built pc or as fast, but I didn’t expect it to either, but I have to say that for the money, I’d be able to tolerate it and still have fun cutting video.

RAM is cheap these days even for the low latency RAM, I’d actually go with a minimum of 1GB Ram, and a 2ghz or higher processor. I wouldn’t worry much about a high end graphics card unless you plan on doing some heavy CG or animations. You can get a fine all around graphics card for under $200. Hard drives, 160gb system, and a 250gb+ dedicated video storage with a Serial ATA connection and minimum 7200rpm. That should get you started.

Check out Cyberpower or Ibuypower and run the configurator to get an idea for a custom built.

Or check out TigerDirect barebones sytems as a base to build on. You’ll want to start with the 775 mother board for an intel based sytem. Some of the barebones include the processor and RAM.

I don’t want to bash Dell or anything, but every Dell I’ve had (3) have been well problematic. Dell also uses proprietary parts in the buldup making standard upgrades a hassle without buying the Dell branded parts.

Inactive

Thanks Vidcrazy! That helps a lot. I will definitely check out the websites you recommended.

Inactive

Kim,

I did do a quick scan of the summary list for that $2,464.00 XPS 600 you called out. First of all, a lot of inquires like yours come across here and just about all the time, its hard to give people a solid answer because none of us here know what your true intentions are with this PC. If youre looking for a all-in-one PC that will be used for both general home use and basic editing, then you should be OK. Id drop the Media Edition OS version and get either XP Home or Professional and I wouldnt bother with the TV card and remote. In exchange though, I would get another large SATA hard drive. Video takes up a lot of room.

Now if youre looking for a real efficient editing machine that has some horsepower, then youll want to do what was already mentioned and that is to have one custom built with video editing in mind. Especially if youre going to use the higher end more demanding software thats out there. Pinnacle Studio IMO is more of a generic average video editing software solution that will run on just about everything (within reason of course). When these special PCs are built, higher quality and more upgradeable components are installed that will help you get things done faster and better and with less problems. Video editing is probably the most demanding process one can ask of a PC so you shouldnt really skimp on horsepower or quality if at all possible.

I guess to help you with your question if youre just going to be fooling around with family style home videos or vacation videos and youre not going to get into 3D or major high end compositing, you should be fine with the Dell. If youre planning on taking on monster projects, start a little business or run super programs, then youll want to have one made because after all, getting things done faster and better is whats its all about. As the saying goes, Time is money!

Good luck,

RAM

Inactive

Thanks Vidcrazy! That helps a lot. I will definitely check out the websites you recommended.

Inactive

your welcome kdlee.

Inactive

Hank… why’d you pick socket 478?
    That’s history…

Inactive

kdlee, do you have an update for us?

• Viewing 9 reply threads

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
    homicide-bootstrap