Need Camcorder Recommendation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello,

I am new to this site as of today and I hope that I have found a good place to learn from some of the vest out there. I have a general question, but first I will explain my situation. I started out as a hobbyist, just taking pictures with my DSLR camera. After a while, people started noticing my work and were impressed, especially with me being so new at it.

I recently was hired for a few birthday parties and for me that was GREAT and the pictures were loved. Well of course word got out, so now I have been asked to take pictures and video for a wedding in September. I am not worried about the pictures, but the video I am.I do not own a camcorder, and I haven’t the slightest clue where to start. I am by no means a professional, but I do not believe in giving people cheap products. I have been researching for weeks now looking for the perfect, yet not most expensive or cheap camcorder.

I have been researching the Canon HF 11, HF 100, HG 20, HG 21 and also the Sony products. I don’t know which formats are best for long filming MiniDV, DVD, Flash or HDD. Should I invest in lighting, microphones etc etc. I know this was rather long for my first post, but I am hoping that enough of you will read this, have been where I am standing, and can share your best practice approach. Remember….

I am a beginner, but I am by no means an amatuer. What I mean by that is, I am VERY Tech Savvy, and electronics are second nature to me, so I am not intimidated by features or manuals. Any suggestions, I would greatly appreaciate. Thank you in advance!

EarlC

There’s a LOT of available information here that has pretty much covered most aspects of your interest. It would be GREAT (for you) if you checked out some of the most recent posts to get a strong idea of what forum participants here have been saying.

NewBirthProductions
      Participant

Or just buy a Sony http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410747-REG/Sony_DVW970_DVW_970_2_3_Inch_3_CCD_Digital.htmland be done with it. You can buy Earl and I one too for our advice :0

Anonymous
      Inactive

haha.
      Thanks Guys

Anonymous
      Inactive

I can’t believe I fell for that one. :0(

EarlC

FYI – the primary cameras I have been focusing on are in the low- to mid-range price, say $600 to $4K…

They are the Canon HV30, a GREAT low-end item ($600 or so) getting many, many kudos on the various boards by users applying them as backup, playback and third POV cams at gigs – records on MiniDV tape; the other two make a major jump, are AVCCAMs using AVCHD format and recording to SDHC cards – no moving parts for tape drive, making for a lighter and less maintenance tool. They are the Panasonic AG-HMC150 and JVC’s GY-HM100; both 3CCD camcorders as opposed to the HV30’s single chip.

Logic says that by the time you spend the money to add better audio, microphone, brackets and accessories necessary to help put the HV30 to semi-pro use, you’d be close to investing a significant amount of money that could go toward the other two, IMHO, more preferred camcorders.

There are a host of other options, but all-in-all I believe these three represent some serious acquisition capabilities. Between the Panasonic and JVC, the latter offers TWO SDHC card slots as opposed to P’s single slot, and JVC also (important to QuickTime capable editing users) provides native QT allowing for direct assimilation and editing of the video instead of having to convert in FCP, iMovie, etc. – essentially a true “drag-and-drop” approach further reducing digitizing/transfer wait time before you can start putting your project together.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN