Need Advice: Fortune 1000 company wants to buy rights

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Need Advice: Fortune 1000 company wants to buy rights

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum and hoping you can point me in the right direction. Some background on me,I am not a professional videographer, but I do have a degree in video production and in a former life (before marriage and kids) I did earn some some “rainy day” money producing promotional videos for small, local companies and non-profits who hired me directly. These were on-the-side jobs I did while slaving away at a boring 9-5 kind of job (you know, the kind with health benefits).

Recently I produced a a 5min video as a favor for my wife about a reading program she is implementing as a pilot program in a school district. It has an informational/promotional feel to it, and features narration, graphics, production music, and interviews with several students and faculty. I shot it over two days, and probably put in about 10-15 hours of post-production.

The company that produces the materials for the reading program (a Fortune 1000 Educational Publishing company) has approached me and expressed interest in buying the video / the rights to the video.

This has kinda caught me off guard, and I am looking for advice as to how to proceed. Specifically:

• Legal issues that I should be aware of
      • Types of things a lawyer could / should assist with
      • Best course of action: Sell the video outright / Sell rights / License it (especially considering that my wife would like to continue using it in presentations she makes to teachers and the school board, and I would like to have it in my portfolio)
      • How to arrive at a reasonable dollar figure for video/rights/licensing

Thanks in advance for any insight offered!

Participant

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14942/

Participant

Doug, First thing that jumped out at me when I read your post: there would definetely have to be releases from anyone that is in the video or narrating or in anyway supplies audio or video”and features narration, graphics, production music, and interviews with several students and faculty.” This would establish your right to publish, sell, rent, etc the resulting video production. Legal forms for release can be found by searching this site or googling video release forms or contacting an attorney. Probably should contact an attorney who specializes in this field anyway. Disclosure: I am not anlawyer nor do I play one on tv. (as Birdcat would say).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap