Need Advice about becoming a “Videomaker”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello πŸ™‚

So i think i most likely would like to attend school some type of school/training facility with up to date equipment and it would be great if they allow students to lease out equipment… I am in Georgia and i know of two schools Ga State and Chattahoche Tech… I am not “stuck” in GA i really want to get out of here i am young no children nothing holding me back and i will go as far as canada for the best/least expensive training… Can you suggest some great schools? I would prefer not to do a 4 year program or a 2 year that requires general coursework… thank you so much πŸ™‚

Participant

Sounds like you arearound the Atlanta area but if you didn’t mind moving further south you could do a lot worse than look into the Savannah College of Art and Design. It’s more traditional in that there’s coursework, but there’s a very active filmmaking department, seems like there’s a road blocked off in Savannah or even as far up as Statesboro all the time for film shoots.

The courses can be expensive, but fortunately living expenses in this part of the state are pretty reasonable and you could wind up with a respected degree in video and film from a school that prides itself on keeping up with the latest technology for the field.

Otherwise you could do like me and read everything you can get your hands on, study other people’s lighting and shooting techniques, and follow some of the blogs from people on this site. And mainly get out and shoot and study your shots. Unless you’re an unreasonable sort you’ll see what you’re doing wrong and get it straightened out.

I wish the equipment and resources had been available that we have now when I was young and single. You’re getting started at a great time!

Inactive

If you speak french, “La cit collgiale” in Ottawa is great.

Participant

What is taught in a classroom is worthwhile. However, there is no substitute for experience. Getting out there and shooting – before, during and after classwork – can be invaluable.

Before – If nothing else, you’ll have intelligent questions for your professors.

During – Class assignments and such – as you learn new techniques, tips & tricks.

After – Knowledge & Skills, as in many things – If you don’t use it, you lose it! Like how you get to Carnegie Hall…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap