Need a Rate Card or something for Comparison

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi! I’m starting my own post production edit house down here in FL and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a sample rate card? it would be very helpful to see what people in other areas of the country are charging. And any advice for a newbie would be much appreciated! thanks in advance!

Participant

It depends on your gear, expereience and capabilities. Your rates have nothing to do with what established post houses who know what their work is worth charge. I know of not post house that has or needsa rate card.We charge by the hour and have that rate memorized. No need to write it down andwe don’t limit clientele by posting it.

Meso,

A rate card is useful if you’re running a Rental House or if you’re a journeyman freelance crew type (i.e. cameraman, audio tech, grip and so on.)

When starting your own joint, a good place to start is to look at your state’s Department of Finance website or literature (whichever is available) to see what the standard rates for specific jobs and services are in your region. The standard rates will give you a good indicator of what your region’s market will bear. Armed with that info, you do as Grinner implied and set your rates according to your business assumptions concerning your specific overhead and expected profit levels.

Another thing you’ll have to factor in is the skill and quality level of services you’ll be providing. If you’re working with top of the line gear, software etc. you’ll need to set your prices to get all of that stuff to pay for itself in a timely manner. However, as a new house with probably little or no reputation you’re going to have to be reasonable with your initial pricing. Yeah, it would be easy to look at an established house and base your rates on theirs, but that’s not going to help you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap