NAB 2008 – worth the trip?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have never attended the NAB event and am thinking about going just to see all the gear.

Has anyone in the forums gone, and what can you say about it? Also, what other trade shows should I be looking into? Thanks.

Inactive

A few years ago (2000 or 2001?) My bosses at the studio I worked at went to the NAB convention. They had a great time.

I’ve never been there myself, but I’ll probably try to go sometime, if nothing else just to see the fun toys they’ve got!

I’d recommend it to anyone who’s serious about professional video or currently working in professional video. It’s especially helpful if you’re planning on purchasing a lot of gear, because you can get your hands on just about everything at the manufacturer’s booth. It definitely is a "high-end" market, but they have lots of solutions for every type of shooter/editor. I’ve never done any of their courses, but I’d imagine they’re worth it, as it is the premiere industry show. As far a prices go, you’re going to pay a premium to get in the door. Occasionally, you’ll see free passes to the show room floor available from certain manufacturer’s, but there’s no telling who or when or how many passes they have.

I’ll more than likely be there next year. If you do decide to go let us know, maybe we can all get together and do a Videomaker Meet-Up in Vegas. Reporting All Video Geekdom!

Mark

suggestions for attending:

Try to stay at a hotel close to the tram (tram daily pass is generally cheaper compared to a taxi if you plan to go back and forth from between hotel and convention center throughout the day)
      Get to the convention center a little early if you’re taking the tram (it can get congested quickly)
      Book your hotel early
      Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to stand for long periods of time (seating is rare on show room floor)
      Grab a map of the show room floor first thing. Don’t loose it. I literally got lost in Panasonic’s booth last year.
      Prepare for bringing home more than you came with. There’s lots of brochures and swag to be had.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2020

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap