My Wishlist for the Next TM700

Roy
Roy's picture

I have been shooting Video since the Hi8 days and have always purchased Sony Cams.

Alais, the lens ( sealed ) collapsed on my Sony HDR-FX1e and to repair would have cost over $2500.

This all happened after only 30 hours shooting. YUK.

So I purchased the Panasonic TM700, and it is an awesome camera, shooting the best quality video that I have ever seen.

The camera does have some minor annoyances though, and here is my wish list for the next Panasonic upgrade.

1.. The "IA / Manual" button should be moved to maybe a touch screen button as I shoot mainly in "IA" mode and where it is, its too easy to accidentally turn off "IA".

2.. The "Mode Dial Switch" needs to be strengthened. Mine seized up incurring $250 in repairs.

3.. I am used to largish cameras, such as Sony's VX2000 and the FX1e and because the TM700 is so tiny and light I have great difficulty with shake, despite its excellent stabilisation feature. To solve this I purchased a Steady Grip fromhttp://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_cs1_camcorder_steadymount.html

I do love travelling with the tiny cam.

I would buy another TM700 despite the above.

Happy shooting.

artsmith's picture

Dave, you have pre-empted a new item I have just posted today (Sunday 11th, although possibly still Saturday 10th in your neck-of-the-woods). I cannot see any reason whereby the WV-VBG260 could not have been incorporated into this camcorder. I am delighted by every aspect of my SD900 so-far, but as an ex designer/developer in the consumer home-appliances industry, these changes make no sense to me whatever. You actually sacrifice few advantages, however, by running your camcorder from a remote pack of the same specification (after all our 230v stepped-down to the required DC voltage and smoothed, possibly also regulated is the same-thing, but itaddsthe inconvenience of extra bulk and weight to the package), but as the pack winds-down, the state of the voltage, unless regulated and with a remote state-of-charge or cut-off indication, remains forever a mystery. However, I have run gear that way before, right back to my 'Super-8' days, in fact. By the way, anything other than the lens-hood supplied is of little use, due to two light-sensor devices under the lens requiring access for signal-information from-the-front. That means either a specially made lens-hood with the appropriate cut-aways, or some other solution like a specially adapted compendium bellows. (Not greatly portable, the latter solution though, but great for some close-up video). I have partly overcome a problem by fitting to the front of the lens a 46mm to 52mm 'step-up' ring, which I have had around for still-camera use. That puts any clutter likely to intrude into the corners of images on 'wide-angle', further back and minimises cut-off. Also, as my retailer pointed out, 46mm is pretty-much 'yesterday's' filter-size, whereas 52mm is much more common now.

The idiotic thing about the WV-VBG260 battery vs the WV-VBN130 supplied with the camcorder, is that both are able to be charged on the same remote acessory charger which I use, but only one fits the camcorder.