My Teen Has Big Video Ambitions but Needs to Choose a Camera

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders My Teen Has Big Video Ambitions but Needs to Choose a Camera

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 13 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

My 15 yo son has been doing high school video and wants to move to the next level. He wants to do an action/sports documentary in the Peruvian Andes this summer.

We have settled on deciding between the Sony HDR-HC7 vs. the Sony HVR-A1U. Wondering if audio for A1U makes it the winner, or if ease of use/size makes HC7 winner. Interested also in min illumination difference with HC7 rating of 2 lux vs 7 for A1U. Lastly, question any difference in flexibility with outputs going from uploading to uTube all the way to big screen local film festival presentations.

Any comments appreciated,

Andy

Inactive

Looks like the HC7 is bulkier and almost twice as heavy as the A1U. If there’s going to be a lot of hiking to locations, that coud be significant. The better low-light performance of the HC7 could be useful if there’s going to be any night scenes (maybe sitting around a campfire?). If you go with the HC7, you’ll probably want to get an external shotgun mic. I think the A1U comes with an attachable shotgun mic.

Hope this was of some help, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Participant

My school just got 2 A1Us.

They are very compact cameras.

High-definition that you can shoot with one hand.

Plenty of manual choices, etc.

Yes, the A1U comes with an attachable shotgun mic, so the audio is good.

In my opinion, better than the HC7 in all aspects except for low light – but then again, it has the nightshot option that uses infrared to shoot in total darkness.

Participant

andy80218g Wrote:

My 15 yo son has been doing high school video and wants to move to the next level. He wants to do an action/sports documentary in the Peruvian Andes this summer.

We have settled on deciding between the Sony HDR-HC7 vs. the Sony HVR-A1U. Wondering if audio for A1U makes it the winner, or if ease of use/size makes HC7 winner. Interested also in min illumination difference with HC7 rating of 2 lux vs 7 for A1U. Lastly, question any difference in flexibility with outputs going from uploading to uTube all the way to big screen local film festival presentations.

Any comments appreciated,

Andy

From my understanding, you want a lower lux rating, so the rating of 2 lux makes the HDR-HC7 a better choice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap