My own mini-rant!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ll readily admit it: I’s a teribowl speler. πŸ˜€

I’m also a Firefox User (I could go on about how much I dislike MS’ Internet Exploder, but that’s not the topic of this rant, so I digress).

Anyway, Firefox comes pre-equiped with the Google toolbar (note: The Google toolbar can be downloaded for the much-inferior I.E. if you still haven’t turned from the darkness and come to the light that is Open Source Web browsers). One of my favorite features about this toolbar is that it has a little spell checker button built into it. That’s great for me, due to my incapability to spell properly on a regular basis. It highlights the words that it finds that need correcting, and it gives you options for replacement. Very nice.

But when I’m discussing my favorite paid pastime, videography, I can’t stand the stupid thing. You see, according to the Google toolbar, videography and videographer, two words I very regularly use on forums such as this one, return as misspelled!

I think this is ridiculous! Videography is a real word! Videographer is a real word! You can find them in a dictionary and use them in Scrabble! And yet, in the ineffable World-conquesting Google, they aren’t real legitimate words. This is an insult and a mockery to Every videographer who does videography! It’s a travesty to the art of video recording! It’s a disgrace to Google, who, aside from this one minor problem, could easily be the best service ever.

I am on this day, sad and disappointed with Google, and I had to share.

[/rant] πŸ˜€

Sorry, just had to say it! πŸ™‚

Inactive

Diseases? Middle East? Terrorism? What is this which you speak of?

Don’t you know? I live in a cave isolated from society. I only come out to film weddings and pay the Internet bill! πŸ˜€

Inactive

😯 You guys are scarring me!

I don’t know about you guys but do want to know what the most important piece of equipment out of everythng I have in my bay is?

My freakin swivel highback leather chair! πŸ˜› It should be because after all, it seems like I spend half my life in it.

One last question only because I want to know if I’m the only one that this happens too.

Does anyone else out there ever forget what time it is when you’re workin in front of your PC and then all of a sudden you look for some reason and it’s like 3:30 4:00 in the freakin morning? πŸ˜•

RAM

Participant

On a Roll Wrote:

Diseases? Middle East? Terrorism? What is this which you speak of?

Don’t you know? I live in a cave isolated from society. I only come out to film weddings and pay the Internet bill! πŸ˜€

Don’t get me started on the misuse of the word "filming". X-D

Inactive

I ussually get into the editing groove about 8PM and have been know to fade out at 4AM. I don’t enjoy the next day, but when I’m in the groove, time flies like crazy. I worked so many swing shifts, it hard to break the habit.
    For the locals, I’m going to shoot/film/video tape at the airshow in Chico, Ca. the first weekend of September. The shoot includes mounting micro-cams on the clients aircraft. If you are in the area, stop by and say hi.

Inactive

😯 You guys are scarring me!

I don’t know about you guys but do want to know what the most important piece of equipment out of everythng I have in my bay is?

My freakin swivel highback leather chair! πŸ˜› It should be because after all, it seems like I spend half my life in it.

You’re hittin’ too close to home there. I actually work from home for a nonprofit agency when I’m not doing the videography thing. Because I basically sit at my desk 5-6 days a week, I have two chairs in my office, one very comfortable leather chair which I sit at my desk in when I’m wearing the videographer hat, and another chair I sit in for the nonprofit stuff (all at the same desk mind you). I figure, at least if I’m not going out of the cave, my hindquarters can get a change of scenery from time to time!

One last question only because I want to know if I’m the only one that this happens too.

Does anyone else out there ever forget what time it is when you’re workin in front of your PC and then all of a sudden you look for some reason and it’s like 3:30 4:00 in the freakin morning? πŸ˜•

RAM

Not on a daily basis, if that’s what you’re asking. But my wife has given up on waiting up on me whenever I get into PC usage mode.

I chalk it up to occupational hazards.

Don’t get me started on the misuse of the word "filming". X-D

Definitions.

According to the book, you don’t need to use "film" to be filming X-D . But then, want do they really know? They also think videographer and videography are real words, when the inerrant, ineffible Google (praise to thy search engine) says otherwise? X-D

I ussually get into the editing groove about 8PM and have been know to fade out at 4AM. I don’t enjoy the next day, but when I’m in the groove, time flies like crazy. I worked so many swing shifts, it hard to break the habit.

I have the unique blessing (curse?) of being both a morning person and a night person. I can edit til 3, sleep 4-5 hours, pop out of bed, and enjoy the morning. Wierd, huh?

For the locals,

not me! πŸ™‚

I’m going to shoot/film/video tape at the airshow in Chico, Ca. the first weekend of September. The shoot includes mounting micro-cams on the clients aircraft. If you are in the area, stop by and say hi.

Well, as I said, I’m not local, but only by a couple thousand miles. Plus, that weekend I’m filming, er, I mean "taping" (Just for you, Endeavor! :)) a music festival in South Dakota for their next year’s promotional material. Four days of all expense paid fun and music! This is what I call my "paid vacation"

Participant

X-D funny post!

Inactive

OK, if we shoot on film, we’re filming. If we shoot on tape, we’re taping. So now we have these solid state camcorders… what term should we use? Send in your entries.
    If we now shoot on cards, are we carding?

Inactive

Hmmm.

So you store it on film and you’re "filming".

You pop it onto tape, and you’re "taping".

I guess if you’re storing it to a Hard Drive, you’d be "driving"? πŸ˜€

If "Driving" amd "carding" weren’t already terms for something else, we could really have something here!

And then, like Fulton said, it’s not footage, because it’s not on feet of film. "Discage" maybe? πŸ˜€

Wow, this could be quite the conversation between two videographers of te future.

Videographer 1: So, Do you prefer carding, or are you more of a driving type?
    Videographer 2: You know, I started by driving, but lately, carding is just better quality. The VX-6300 gets great discage quality when you’re carding.
    Videographer 1: I Don’t know, Personally, I think drivng with the GL-7 gives you a crisp image.
    Videographer 2: Yeah, but that’s because you’re a Canon man. You wouldn’t know good discage if it came up and bit you.

Ah yes, I can see that day coming.

Personally, I’m anti-change. I still think film is the best quality, and you just can’t touch it with modern technology.

Inactive

I think the present way chips work won’t ever lead to a film look on their own. We will have to rely on a software conversion to achieve to correct look. My gut feeling is that this will come about with incredibly good results. The output format of the camera will be the key issue.

Participant

And don’t forget about some of the new HD cams that store data on a flash drive :). We might soon all become flashers! X-D

Inactive

or at least card holders…

• Viewing 11 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap