My First Video Using Sony Vegas!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

http://media.putfile.com/mickey-the-ram

What do you guys think, be truthfull you do not need to spare me. I can take it…lol. Just keep in mind I used to use Pinnacle Studio but switched to a "real" editior.

Participant

ok well, thats…interesting, it was kind of funny in the middle, i didnt like the way it was ended at all. Also you cant copyright someone elses song. by putting that copyright notice at the end you are claiming all previous material yours.

I didnt like the flashes in the middle either, more straight cuts would have been good to get more of a reaction from the ram to the song.

anyway thats my two cents of free advice

Participant

Definitly strange but you should have seen some of my productions from when I was in college. I will offer some constructive critisism. First off more cuts, more cuts and more cuts! In most video formats you will want a cut every 3-7 seconds depending on how much visual information is on the screen once you have taken all of the information in cut. Also cuting on the beat would be great with this music cut. Also there should be a cohesive begining middle and end. Transitions should have a motivation, using a trasition without motivation is pointless. Try reading In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch to learn more about editing and when and why to make a cut.
      Hope this helps.
      Good luck with your future productions.

Inactive

Honestly speaking:

I agree with the points made by both videolab and squeeks. In addition, let me add the following opinions and observations.

I use Studio, which you said you used to use, but this video was made with a "real" editor, Vegas. Please educate me: what were you able to do with Vegas in this video that you wouldn’t have been able to do with Studio? (Hint to readers: Studio may not be as powerful and feature rich as other apps, but don’t underestimate it. It’s easy to say what it CANNOT do that others can, but let’s give it credit for what it CAN do.)

I’m just not sure the music went well with the video. Yeah, it’s a funny song and all that, but it just didn’t seem to fit in this case. Maybe I’m missing something.

Anyway, keep plugging away.

Participant

[quote]Try reading In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch to learn more about editing [/quote]

Absolutely. A must-read for everyone who is editing. Murch edited (among other things) the Godfathers and Apolocypse Now and is an expert in sound design (I believe that’s how he started)… And I totally agree with everyone’s advice.

Best of luck!!! πŸ˜€

Inactive

[quote="squeeks"]ok well, thats…interesting, it was kind of funny in the middle, i didnt like the way it was ended at all. Also you cant copyright someone elses song. by putting that copyright notice at the end you are claiming all previous material yours.

I didnt like the flashes in the middle either, more straight cuts would have been good to get more of a reaction from the ram to the song.

anyway thats my two cents of free advice[/quote]

First thing, Thanks for your thoughts and I agree it was full of mistakes. I guess you missed where I listed the song title, author and their "copyright" information.

Inactive

Thanks Videolab, I’m still learning the in and outs of vegas and I will check out the book you mention, if you can think of any other books or DVD’s that would be helpful that would be great. I’m working on a new Video I’ll post the link when I’m done.

[quote="videolab"]Definitly strange but you should have seen some of my productions from when I was in college. I will offer some constructive critisism. First off more cuts, more cuts and more cuts! In most video formats you will want a cut every 3-7 seconds depending on how much visual information is on the screen once you have taken all of the information in cut. Also cuting on the beat would be great with this music cut. Also there should be a cohesive begining middle and end. Transitions should have a motivation, using a trasition without motivation is pointless. Try reading In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch to learn more about editing and when and why to make a cut.
      Hope this helps.
      Good luck with your future productions.[/quote]

Inactive

Honestly speaking, with that video nothing. You need to remember that was the "first" video I had done with vegas. At that time I didn’t know what I was doing. there is way too much to list what vegas can do compared to Studio. There is one big thing Studio can do that vegas has not done "CRASH" multiple times on one project!

Thanks for your reply,
      Wil

[quote="jla930"]Honestly speaking:

I agree with the points made by both videolab and squeeks. In addition, let me add the following opinions and observations.

I use Studio, which you said you used to use, but this video was made with a "real" editor, Vegas. Please educate me: what were you able to do with Vegas in this video that you wouldn’t have been able to do with Studio? (Hint to readers: Studio may not be as powerful and feature rich as other apps, but don’t underestimate it. It’s easy to say what it CANNOT do that others can, but let’s give it credit for what it CAN do.)

I’m just not sure the music went well with the video. Yeah, it’s a funny song and all that, but it just didn’t seem to fit in this case. Maybe I’m missing something.

Anyway, keep plugging away.[/quote]

Inactive

I never liked that song πŸ˜€

It’s not too bad for a first project. It takes time to get used to any editor. I’ve got Vegas myself, but I tend to use PP2 more anymore. It just has features that I can’t get in Vegas.

The only criticism I would say would be to mix it up a bit and don’t use the flashy effects. Professional videos made for TV will have, maybe, 5-10 secons on one shot, max. There are some exceptions, such as dramatic moments, but if you’re going for network TV, avoid the 30 second clips, and keep transitions simple. The guy I learned everything I know about video editing from hated anything other than a basic cut, and very seldomly a nice fade. He was a network producer, fwiw.

Aside from that, good work. Just promise you won’t use that song again! πŸ˜€

Participant

"First thing, Thanks for your thoughts and I agree it was full of mistakes. I guess you missed where I listed the song title, author and their "copyright" information."

unless you have their expressed written permission you can not use their work.

For a video like this, its one thing, but if you ever get into much more, you could get into a lot of trouble for using copyrighted work. even if you give credit to the original artist. Im not saying ive never done it, both of my previous two movies have all copyrighted music in them, but i just share them with friends and family. the project im working on now i hope to sell and am using all royalty free music.

Another note on vegas..its a big program, most of which you will never use, i dont use half of it. the best way to learn is to just play with it, get a lot of video together and see what all of the features do.

Dont worry about having used the flashy effects at this point, its natural to see something shiny and want to play with it. I did this a lot in my first film too. but i’m sure you will soon see you will perfer straight cuts, i did, and i hardly use anything else not.

Keep up the good work.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap