Multiple Webcams?

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi. This question deals more with webcams than anything else but it might apply to this forum. As you may soon suspect, I know very little about videography!

I am a musician who is currently giving a couple of my students lessons via the internet. It works rather well but my one gripe is using only one camera. This means I need to get closer to the cam with my instrument to show a specific hand position in detail, but then I need to move back so the student would be able to see proper body positioning, etc.

What I would LOVE to do is broadcast the lessons with 2-3 webcams going at the same time and then have some sort of device that would allow me to switch camera views whenever I hit a button. However, I obviously don't understand how to go about doing this. What kind of device could I use to make this happen? Is it even possible? I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't be able to make a "split-screen" show up on someone else's' computer, considering I use either Skype or MSN Messenger for the lessons. This is why I think some gadget like this would be better. Perhaps there is some software that would allow this to work to?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

Masada:

Adobe have a program called Visual Communicator. This program do exactly what you need and is able to make live feed directly to the internet. You can use three cameras simultaneuosly and the only thing that you need to do is position the cameras where you want them to be and the program will indentify them as CAM 1,2, or 3. Drag and drop them in the timeline, put a few transitions (if you like) and your ready to record. You can use three webcams without any problems via USB, but if you want to use a camcorder the program identify them via Firewire (I heard you can used them via USB but I havent try it yet). The program is very easy to use and I think it will help you with your needs and is not that expensive. http://www.adobe.com/products/visualcommunicator/?promoid=DJDXK

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

NormanWillis's picture

>>What I would LOVE to do is broadcast the lessons with 2-3 webcams going at the same time and then have some sort of device that would allow me to switch camera views whenever I hit a button.

Are you recording, editing and then publishing?

Or are you only doing live broadcast/webcast/Skypecast?

If the former then continue on here. If the latter, then you are seeking a broadcast application, and I would recommend contacting Skype.

NormanWillis's picture

Also try WebCam Max

GRNIS200's picture

Have you considered using an AV Bridge with HDMI cameras and sources:
http://www.vaddio.com/product/av-bridge

You can use a simple HDMI switcher and convert to a USB stream for you soft codec of choice.

Ed Merritt's picture
Plus Member

The original post here was made in 2009, so a lot has changed since then.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to run multiple web cams is to purchase Manycam software. Depending on how many cams you need, it can handle up to twelve webcams. You'd need a PC with USB 3.0 and a 3.0 hub but the cost is reasonable. To run several cameras would require a well-spec'd PC to handle that type of load. Having used it myself for two cams, I can say it works well. Has some cool effects and transitions too.

www.manycam.com