multi-cam HV30 + HFS10?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hoping to get advice from you talented people. This is a great forum and I’ve learned so much already from all of you.

I take videos of my friend’s band with my HV30. We would like to add another camera for a “multi-cam” perspective (will be using Premiere Pro CS3 to edit). We want to buy the Canon HFS10, and want to know if clips from that camera will go well for this purpose with our current HV30.

Thank you in advance.

Inactive

The more sure way would be to buy another HV30. but the HFS10 would be better, right? One way or the other, make sure to white balance. For good tips for multicam, her are 4 good videomaker articles.

Hope that helps you. Good luck,

Antoine

http://www.videomaker.com/article/10691/

http://www.videomaker.com/article/12970/

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14244/

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13053/

Participant

If at all possible, try not to use different brands or model types in a multi-cam setup. Make sure that all camcorders stay in sync with the same white balance, quality,and other picture specifications, which won’t be hard if you keep consistant and match the camcorder types. Having 3ccd and 1ccd cameras in the same setup is not a good idea either.

Inactive

The Canon HFS10 is a beautiful camera, i reviewed it here &thisis whatsome of the videolooks like. Not sure if they will line up perfectly since the F10 packs in 900 lines of resolution, however that doesn’t mean that you cant just color correct in post…

Inactive

Thank you all for your replys.

the shooter, thanks you for all of the links, they were very helpful. I realize after reading the Editing: Multicam Video Editing Tips link, that probably right now what we have in mind isn’t actual Multicam Editing. Instead of having the 2 cameras recording the entire event, one camera would be recording the event, while the second camera would be recording various clips from different angles, so more an A/B edit than a true Multicam. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

XTR-91, thanks you for this advice. One question: Will the differences between the cameras still matter if, for the near and medium future anyway, this will all be down converted to SD for DVD and web purposes? Most of our friends don’t have blue ray capabilities yet (neither do we). I’m rather anxious to take advantage of picking the clips right in the camera and deleting the ones I don’t want right off the camera. Seems like a such a time saver, but not at the expense of quality.

tomskowronski, thank you for the link to your review. I am going to read it more carefully, but just glancing through it, it all seems positive and most of the reasons we picked out the HFS10. I don’t want to create shoddy production, however, due to the differences in the cameras. The HV30 makes our work appear better than it probably would be otherwise πŸ™‚ Thank you for posting the clips. I am downloading them now.

So we are still on the fence for right now.

Inactive

UPDATE OK, to test, I imported a clip captured from the HV30 and added to a timeline in Pinnacle (faster for me than PPro) with the clips that tomskowronski provided. The import in Pinnacle is an m2v file. Will that make a difference in comparing the 2 different cameras, as the HFS10 files posted were mts? I output to HD 1080i and 720p. I don’t find really glaring differences, I think would be less so even with SD and web resolutions, yes? Those were bright sun though, maybe more difference in lower light? (We don’t record in as low light as the posted clip though.

TIA!

Participant

allieka: Will the differences between the cameras still matter if, for the near and medium future anyway, this will all be down converted to SD for DVD and web purposes?

If you use similar (different brand and model) or entirely different camcorders, there is always a catch even if you try to convert to the same resolution, interlacing format, etc. There are justplenty of variables. Some camcorders apply white balance slightly different -the CCD size or lens could be different sizes, changing the light sensativity. Also, one camcorder (or both)could have a digital stabalizer turned on and shrink the resolution by different amounts. Like I said, there are just too many camera factors to worry about.

Inactive

XTR-91, interesting, so much to know. Thanks for the info; these are things I hadn’t considered.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap