MS Word screenwriting plug in/template?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Evening, all.

I have a copy of FD, but it’s an ancient version. However, some of my writing team do not have even that. All of us, however, have a copy of Word.

Before I go buy multiple licenses for Final Draft, does anyone know of any plug-ins or templates that allow Word to easily format scripts? Doing it by hand is a chore, it drives me nuts. I remember reading about some MS Word add-on once, but I never tried it and can’t remember what it was called. I can google it, but I’d rather hear about something that someone here has actually used and recommends, if possible.

Chris – you’re the king of cheap/free downloads… what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Jeff

Participant

Chris already listed one really good freeware peice…in the other thread.

can you not just layout a page the way you want it and save it as a template?

Participant

I would only recommend using MS Word for creating split page scripts. It’s easy to create a 2-column table for audio and video.

If you’re writing a narrative and want to follow WGA format, use Final Draft or what I use, Celtx, which was a free download and works great. It’s similar to FD in the idea that you can simple press TAB to shuffle between character, dialogue,parenthetical, INT or EXT scene, scenedescription, etc. It automatically formats your script to WGA standards.

Participant

celtix! that’s the one Chris mentioned! It’s available for Mac also!

Participant

Celtx looks amazing… I love open-source! 😉

Thanks for the head’s up!

-Jeff

Participant

Celtxhasa bunch of collaborativetools builtintoitas well,sothis might be agoodthingto lookinto for you and your other writersto all work on and viewthe project.

Participant

Celtxhasa bunch of collaborativetools builtintoitas well,sothis might be agoodthingto lookinto for you and your other writersto all work on and viewthe project.

I saw that, which is perfect as one member of my writing team is based in NYC and we’re in CA.

-Jeff

Inactive

Celtx is great. You can also try Cinergy Script Editor. Cinergy Production Software is very expensive, but the scriptwriter is free. I have used both.

Jeremy

Inactive

Celtx is both free and fantastic.The more that i use it, the more impressed i am

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap