MPEG-4 Part 2 in AVI container

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

HEllo everyone,

I am designing a digital ad for a client using Adobe After Effects CS4. They want me to produce a MPEG-4 Part 2 in AVI container. Though I know what a MPEG video or an AVI are, I have no clue what they mean by ‘MPEG-4 Part 2 in AVI container’. They suggested I use DivX to encode the file but Divx Plus 8.0 exports only divx files… I’m kinda lost.

What format should the final file be? An AVI, MPEG, DIVX???

Thanks for your help.

I’ll take a stab at this but I’m no expert. They want an AVI file but an MPEG 4 Part 2 codec. AVI is the “wrapper” or “container” but the actual file/codec will be an MPEG 4 Part 2. Here’s a good starting point (as well as searching “wrapper” and “codec” on this forum):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats

Participant

Try using the Xvid codec and select the “DivX” option as its encoding format. It can save you a lot of headaches as Xvid-encoded files usually contain the wrapper and are compatible with earlier versions of DivX codecs as well.

Participant

Hi, I have the same problem. My client ask me about an avi file (container) with mpeg4 codec. If I try to make avi file with compressor or squeeze the software I don’t have any option to do a mpeg4 codec file. Maybe I can make a normal mpeg4 file and change the name. Is it stupid?

Participant

Silvia –

That won’t work. The wrapper and CODEC are different things, and for the most part, renaming a file to a different extension will not work (there are notable exceptions however, just not for this).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap