mpeg 2 compression problem

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

<p style=”padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 10px;”>Hi, I was wondering if someone could please give me some advice on MPEG encoding in Premiere Pro CS3. I’m using the standard MPEG 2 DVD when exporting my movie (which is made up of PNGs 1024 x 576), the problem is its just compressing my movie way too much.
      Even when I shrink down a single PNG image to 720 by 405 they still don’t look as bad as when converted to MPEG format. Even when I export it to MOV from Aftereffects its still not as compressed, but i need to keep the MPEG format for a DVD.
      My movie is only 1 min 40 sec,roughly 50mb I’ve got 2 other things to go on the DVD which come to about 800mb all up, so I’ve still got 3.9gb unused which I’d rather use to maximise the resolution of my movie.
      I could increase bit rate but apparently most DVD players can’t handle higher than 9, surely there must be some way i can get better picture quality?
      <!– End of post content –>

Participant

You should check the export settings for your video file or DVD production. All content that is imported will be converted (or stretched) to the resolution of your production settings, despite the original quality of your stock footage and/or pictures. Try to avoid shrinking your picturesunlessyou have to. The quality of the DVDconent can also be set (HQ, SP, LP, or EP) with most DVD authoring software. The resolution, however, always stays the same – 720×480. This only changes when it is viewed on Standard (320×240) TVs.

Inactive

Yeah i realize it has to be TV resolution of 720 by 576 or less, my problem is that even when i shrink down my PNGs to that resolution they still don’t look as bad as when they’ve gone through MPEG encoding. I wish Blu Ray was the standard now, can’t wait for the future.

Participant

First of all you might want to try PSD images if you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.
      Adobe products like PSD a little better than any other format.

Then, I just don’t understand why there is a problem. From what you have said everything should look really good.
      How are you burning to DVD? Have you tested burning to a DVD?

9 is the highest setting for DVD and should be fine for any DVD production. Maybe you can tell us a little more about your project because something sure isn’t right and it doesn’t have anything to do with the export format.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap