moving up to hd prosumer…good choice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve been shooting standard definition prosumer video for a few years, often doing greenscreen and other special effect. I’ve been wondering what would be the best camcorder to get me into Hi Def. The conventinal wisdom is that special effects (especially green screen) benefits from these camcorder features:
      1. Low compression color encoding. Like 4:2:2, not 4:1:1 or 4:2:0.
      2. "True" progressive scan
      3. 3 image sensors (CCD or CMOS).

Unfortunately, to get all that is going to be expensive. The Panasonic HVX200 seems to be the least expensive ($5200 street price) way to get all that. Some argue that just going to hi def makes the other factors not so important. They might have a point…. I haven’t shot in HD yet. Assuming that you don’t really need all 3 of the above features, here is my list of affordable HD camcorders to consider:

Canon HV20
      Panasonic AG-HSC1U Pro
      Sony HDR-FX7
      Sony HVR-A1U

If you want a shoulder-mount camcorder (good for impromptu interviews):
      Sony HVR-1000U (to be released in November?)

Of all the above, I think the FX7 would be my pick, with the A1U a close 2nd. But if your allowed budget should increase, be sure to look at:
      Sony HVR-V1U
      Sony PMW-EX1
      Panasonic AG-HVX200

Ah, if only I had the money…. the wonderful toys I could buy! X-D
      Ken Hull

Inactive

I’m new to the prosumer world of video shooting and am shooting greenscreen video and will be shooting outdoor interviews for a monthly video and am looking to purchase a hd camera to start out with. I like the Canon Xh-A1 but it’s just a bit out of my range right now and I’m not sure if I should jump to that being fairly new. I’m thinking I should start with something that’s more comsumer friendly with less pro options…unless there is something similar to this camera that’s cheaper.

Any recommendations on a good camera?

thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap