Moving Clips – and how not to lose the audio? Help needed!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Moving Clips – and how not to lose the audio? Help needed!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi,

I have used Premiere Pro 6.0 quite extensively over the years and have recently moved to Premiere Pro CS5.

With Premiere Pro 6.0 I could move/drag clips on the time-line and their linked audio would move with them. If I moved the video clip to another video track, say, above an existing clip, the audio would also move to a free audio track and not automically write over any existing audio. This would allow me to easily reorder clips on the timeline by simply moving them around and using other video tracks as temporary storage locations… and not lose or write over any other existing audio.

However in Premiere Pro CS5 if I do the same thing, the video will move to the other video track I move it to, but the audio will stay in the say audio track and will write-over any existing audio when the mouse button is released. The only way around this I can find in the manual is to: (1) drag the video to the other video track, and (2) press and hold the <SHIFT> key, whilst, (3) draging the linked audio to another audio track to avoid existing audio from being over-written.

My question: Is there a configuation I can set in CS5 to allow moving/draging of clips to work like in Premiere Pro 6.0? I have already messed up multiple times in CS5 by inadvertently over-writing existing audio.

In short:

I want to be able to re-arrange the clips on the timeline just by draging them around and not lose (or over-write) any of the existing audio.

Your expert advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Participant

You can shift click the ausio tracks to select them too (or lasso them with the video).

Inactive

But remember that I want to be able to re-arrange the clips on the timeline just by draging them around and not lose (or over-write) any of the existing audio… just like Premiere Pro 6.0 used to work, ie just draging clips around on the timeline and not worrying that audio will be over-written.

Any ideas?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap