Mountable mics good for filming skateboarding?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear Mountable mics good for filming skateboarding?

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a JVC Everio GZ-MG555, and need a good mic that I can mount on my camera. I’ll be talking into it, but I will also be shooting skateboarding videos very often. I know VERY little about this stuff. So what you recommend?

Thanks!

Participant

you probably want a Shotgun mic and a BeachTek XLR adapter.

Inactive

I’d rather not have to carry around an adapter, and I’m looking to make videos just good enough for Youtube.

Participant

well mics use XLR cable, and since you’re camera doesn’t have XLR connections, you need an adapter. Whats the big deal? It’s not like they’re a hugenuisance.

Inactive

Why couldn’t I get a shotgun mic that plugs into an 1/8″ jack?

Participant

have you ever seen a shotgun that plugs into an 1/8″ jack? I haven’t.

Inactive

I know they make shotgun mics with 1/8″ plugs since I have one, but it’s a cheapy and certainly not professional.

If you just want fair audio quality, I’d just use the microphone that’s part of the camera.

If you want to do interviews, I’d get a “good” microphone and an adapter like Rob says – I’ve got that setup also.

I usually video from a tripod and the adapter attaches easily to the tripod.

Go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com and search for “shotgun” they have all sorts of good shotgun microphones.

Inactive

What about these mics?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8902/Consumer_Microphones_Shotgun_On_Camera_Mics.html

I’m on a budget, and the shotguns you mentioned are too expensive.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap